Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs >

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Notices

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to contact x-driver here and on boatfreaks. He has a gorgeous 30' checkmate with twin somethings - I think 300x's? runs 90 or better. Boat is super clean.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bimini run
BTW, that last post was from my son, he is desperate for this boat!! But a good question, nonetheless. And what is it with Checkmates and stress cracks? I now own a 22 Baja Hammer with hardly any cracks at all. I did love my Sportfire, however.
For the money you'll be spending on that checkmate, you can be getting something a lot better. Once you talk about swamping motors/rerigging etc, its a bad investment (unless your doing it yourself). If you're doing any offshore boating I wouldnt suggest it, though they are fantastic boats. I agree with everyone with that Powerplay, good buy for sure. Take a look at Activators, Kryptonites, superboats, powerplays, laveycrafts etc. . I actually think theres a 29 kryptonite with two 300xs with a wrap around bench and table. Also, theres a 30 activator with a 496HO for sale.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

All these boats I'm looking at are almost perfect, except they're I/O's. The boat i currently have has an I/O and I'm really not impressed with it. I've had the exhaust manifolds crack every 2 years since i got it, and now I'm pretty sure they've cracked again, so I'm getting disgusted with it. (My son posted the problem here http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ml#post3032959 if you want to read it)
SO, I've been looking for outboards :O
Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaHammer98
All these boats I'm looking at are almost perfect, except they're I/O's. The boat i currently have has an I/O and I'm really not impressed with it. I've had the exhaust manifolds crack every 2 years since i got it, and now I'm pretty sure they've cracked again, so I'm getting disgusted with it. (My son posted the problem here http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ml#post3032959 if you want to read it)
SO, I've been looking for outboards :O
That was me...posting on my son's name
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Registered

Everybody that's claiming Checkmates are bad for cracking is full of BS. I have owned 3 Checkmates and never once had a stress crack anywhere. Stress cracks are far and few in a Checkmate. The only time I have seen cracks in a Checkmate is from a well abused boat that was left outside in the rain for years and never covered.

Checkmates are known for a quality build and free of stress cracks.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
Everybody that's claiming Checkmates are bad for cracking is full of BS. I have owned 3 Checkmates and never once had a stress crack anywhere. Stress cracks are far and few in a Checkmate. The only time I have seen cracks in a Checkmate is from a well abused boat that was left outside in the rain for years and never covered.

Checkmates are known for a quality build and free of stress cracks.
Where do you run it? The one I was on for a season wouldn't have made it another in these waters.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Registered

I know a guy that has a Checkmate that boats, Long Island that's a member here. Best bet is to let him answer this question. To make it fare for both parties.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
I know a guy that has a Checkmate that boats, Long Island that's a member here. Best bet is to let him answer this question. To make it fare for both parties.
I don't think anyone is knocking on the quality of checkmate's build. Every boat is built for specific waters with specific purposes. Checkmate's are generally not offshore type of boats. If you're going to start running in 3 to 4 footers, Checkmate would not be a boat to look at. If you're taking your family out for a nice cruise on the lake in 2 footers with occasional 3's, the checkmate will be fine! On the other hand, if you want to take your son out and go in the ocean and run hard in 2's,3's and 4 footers, you should consider looking at the boats mentioned. Also, with mild power (496HO, 525) you can have as much reliability as you would with SOME outboards (minus the 300xs). If you're not worried about speed or rough water handling and more concerned with having a nice family cruise, that checkmate fits your bill.

Purple Hornet, are you refering to SupaJay's boat? That thing is built like a rock and he runs the ..... outta it. It's got nice power in it and I believe hes extremely happy with it
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Actually, for the south shore of LI (Great South, Moriches, Shinnecock Bays), Checkmates should be fine. However I still would think you should be able to run a 30 footer in the rough stuff. And I know first hand, they do have penchant for stress cracks, from my own experience and brother-in-law, who has a 21 foot enchanter. That had a wicked crack along the top of the gunnel, and I remember when it happened. We were racing friends in a 30 foot Baja in 2 - 3 footers in Moriches Bay. They looked very comfortable, sipping cocktails; I was holding on for dear life When we got to the dock, I saw the crack, straight across the top of the gunnel. It was so bad, the surfaces had become uneven. I thought my B-I-L would have a heart attack, he was and still is a perfectionist with that boat. So I said nothing.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
For the money you'll be spending on that checkmate, you can be getting something a lot better. Once you talk about swamping motors/rerigging etc, its a bad investment (unless your doing it yourself). If you're doing any offshore boating I wouldnt suggest it, though they are fantastic boats. I agree with everyone with that Powerplay, good buy for sure. Take a look at Activators, Kryptonites, superboats, powerplays, laveycrafts etc. . I actually think theres a 29 kryptonite with two 300xs with a wrap around bench and table. Also, theres a 30 activator with a 496HO for sale.
I agree... That 29' Progression is nice too... That's a helluva boat for the money. The paint scheme is a little dated, but with a $2k wrap or a little more on a new paint job and that would be a sweet ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.