Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Notices

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 253 Checkmate so I only have a cold December sea trial for reference but the boat has nearly 300 hours and not a crack to be found on it. survey was A+.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOX
I just bought my 253 Checkmate so I only have a cold December sea trial for reference but the boat has nearly 300 hours and not a crack to be found on it. survey was A+.
A guy at my marina has the same boat and loves it. His is in mint condition too.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered

Believe me, I loved that Checkmate on the lake. Solid, fast, comfortable. A Progression or Activator would have held half the people. My Checkmate had more cockpit room than the PP. It's all about the right tool for the application. I wasn't comfortabe with the Check in the big water. The PP made everything easy.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
A guy at my marina has the same boat and loves it. His is in mint condition too.
Cool thanks, A few guys I know always talk about how much they loved their Checkmates.

BTW We all have our own uses for our boats, this check fits in well for me Being a husband and father of two it is the right fit for me. If I was interested in simply a poker run boat this may not have been my choice.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JROMY
Believe me, I loved that Checkmate on the lake. Solid, fast, comfortable. A Progression or Activator would have held half the people. My Checkmate had more cockpit room than the PP. It's all about the right tool for the application. I wasn't comfortabe with the Check in the big water. The PP made everything easy.
JROMY,
Thats funny. I had two Checkmates as a kid, and not also have a 33PP
Old 01-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Registered

Unhappy Sorry not very accurate

Originally Posted by lightspeed
OR You Can Buy My 29 Progression With A Pair Of 300s On It For A Lot Less Than That And Will Run Circles Around It In The Ruff Stuff Its In The Classifieds Here
I think your statement is a little inaccurate to say the least. I know of Checkmates and so do you from the same year or around the same year that will hold thier own with any Progression.

Anyone here who wants to compare apples to apples (Checkmate to any of the Long Island built boats) whether it's for a lake or Salt water application will find that checkmates quality and price will more the exceed there expectations.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Registered

The molds for most of the C/M's have been around for years and from what I understand they have had the same guy's popping them out molds for that same time which tells me they got it down to a science.
The boats gelcoat work is second to none in a price range that does not pull your pants down. I am a comparison guy, Anyone who wants to put a C/M next to a S/B -- Progression or any other boat 30' foot and under your on.
Paint schemes -- The fact is that while other companies have been offering the same tired old paint schemes for years. C/M has constantly updated all options for there boats.
You want to buy the best boat for your moneyin my opinion-- for whatever its worth. Buy a Checkmate bare hull and interior. Then wire and power the boat yourself (if possible) and I will promise you that you will have a boat that will look sharper and run all day with the competition for about 20 to 30 percent less money. More money does not always coincide with a better product. Lets face it gentlman after the mold anybody can buy Livorsi Guages - mercury motors IO or outboard - controls - and all the other little goodies that make boats look and run good. Please consider all my opinions I have stated.

The gelcoat is awesome.... when its not cracked a thousand different ways. I agree with lightspeed. He has a 29 progression that would run CIRCLES around the checkmate for way less money and along with way more reliability.

So tell me in your world of expierence where and when have you seen checkmate boats and I will quote you (cracked a THOUSAND different ways-- Now back up whats come out of your mouth and has been translated so eloquently to a thread on a boating web site. For a person who also said and I will quote you --(I am not knocking Checkmates)

As far as stress cracks -- All the people that say C/M's have stress cracking problems -- I say I am from MIZZORI -- Show me -- outside of that stop your

Last edited by Getchecked; 01-30-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Getchecked
As far as stress cracks -- All the people that say C/M's have stress cracking problems -- I say I am from MIZZORI -- Show me -- outside of that stop your
Would bulkheads that have delaminated and broken qualify?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JROMY
Indy's talking about my 259. It was a great fast lake boat. Then I ran it on the Sound. The boat had no stress cracks before or after the Sound. It just made giant cracking noises. I ran it about twice on the Sound, was afraid it was going to break in half, and bought the Powerplay. Never heard cracking noises again, so I was happy. Progression, Activator, PP would be my recommendation.
Yes I will admit a 33 powerplay will handle the water better than a 259 Checkmate. Being the Powerplay is 7 foot longer. But any boat 7 foot longer will handle rougher water easier.

But to be honest about the whole deal who wants any boat under 30 foot in rough water. I don't care who makes it, your still going to get your teeth knocked out.

Checkmate makes a good boat but what makes Checkmate stand even taller is that if you want a stronger race boat they will make it and reinforce it. Checkmate has been in Business since the early sixties and is still going strong so they are doing something right.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered

AND, the former president of Baja now runs Checkmate. I see the difference already in the interiors. Much more up-to-date. As far as my experience, like I said on this thread previously, I owned a 85 17' Sportfire and my brother-in-law still owns a 84 Enchanter, both purchased from Marty O'Neill in Oceanside (Tony Caligure worked for him and was just starting out on his own selling Skaters). When I bought the boat, I ran it in the Great South Bay, and man, did we get wet. I can remember my future wife grunting after taking some waves the wrong way. Probably too much water for that size boat. Then, we moved east and started boating in Moriches Bay. It was like Nirvana! No more grunting, no more showers during rough stuff. But my poor boat did have some crazy stress cracks, however. And then I saw my BIL's cracks, all around curved areas of the boat. But I do agree, their gelcoats are second to none! And the C'mate for sale at Ocean Outboard does look sweet, I like the flames.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.