Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs >

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Notices

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Would bulkheads that have delaminated and broken qualify?
All and I mean all boats run under condititions they should not be might break.
Now that you mention it -- this company (checkmate) has been around a long time -- Are you telling me that other boats have not broken or delaminated.

Once again of you want to do comparisions I am here and waiting. Alot of companies have come and gone C/M is still here because they keep there customer base happy.
Should we start to list the companies that are no longer with us and maybe can not make that claim.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
Yes I will admit a 33 powerplay will handle the water better than a 259 Checkmate. Being the Powerplay is 7 foot longer. But any boat 7 foot longer will handle rougher water easier.

But to be honest about the whole deal who wants any boat under 30 foot in rough water. I don't care who makes it, your still going to get your teeth knocked out.

Checkmate makes a good boat but what makes Checkmate stand even taller is that if you want a stronger race boat they will make it and reinforce it. Checkmate has been in Business since the early sixties and is still going strong so they are doing something right.
Because someone here mentioned Powerplay.
Did you mean this PowerPlay??
Suspended Domain This account has been suspended for non-payment. Please contact Seblin Web Hosting at 305-665-1253 to update
I googled the company (PowerPlay) -- Are they still in business keeping thier loyal customers happy??
Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered

Umm, good question, what boats have bit the dust? Is Apache still around?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Getchecked
Are you telling me that other boats have not broken or delaminated.
Whatever dude...My experience with Checkmate is that the one I was on was not compatible with the waters it was run in which is Long Island Sound...period. It was also evident to the owner who ran it only a few times out there in regards to his investment. I'm giving this information to bimini run as feedback so he can make an informed decision. I don't care about the boats either way, I don't think good or bad about them just, relaying my experience in moderate waters. I'm glad you like yours and hope you have continued fun with it.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Wow. Looks like the Checkmate boys are coming out in full force. I used to own a Checkmate before my Powerplay.

Great boat for it's intended purpose and yes the gel coat was amazing. However it does not compare to a Powerplay in rough water. You are talking about a production boat and comparing it to a boat that was custom made.

Take a ride in a Powerplay some time and note the difference. They are built like a tank.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Just a quick thought, not sure what body of water you're going to run the boat in but a good buddy of mine brought his Check from his lake to run it in Long Island Sound when he moved here. He got rid of it after the first year because it was basically going to be rubble if he ran it any longer out here. I see Moriches in your location so I suspect you'll be running the in the Great South Bay? I've only run there a couple of times and it seemed fairly tame, but watch that boat in the tough stuff.
There is a big difference between "going to be rubble" and cracking noises. Basically, he ran the boat twice in the south bay, he heard loud cracking noises and got scared the boat would break apart... I don't blame him for worring about it and selling- but not everyone would have sold a boat based on hearing noise.

CMs handle erie fine- and thats a different kind of rough up there. I wouldn't worry bout running one in the south bay most of the time, from what I've seen and heard about it. Now running a 17' in the SB is nuts- I won't run my 17' in erie, cause I know better. I've got nothing in this, but just hate to see CM get a bad rap for no good reason and I haven't seen one yet.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerplay25
Wow. Looks like the Checkmate boys are coming out in full force. I used to own a Checkmate before my Powerplay.

Great boat for it's intended purpose and yes the gel coat was amazing. However it does not compare to a Powerplay in rough water. You are talking about a production boat and comparing it to a boat that was custom made.

Take a ride in a Powerplay some time and note the difference. They are built like a tank.
What model Checkmate did you own?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ndaniels
There is a big difference between "going to be rubble" and cracking noises. Basically, he ran the boat twice in the south bay, he heard loud cracking noises and got scared the boat would break apart... I don't blame him for worring about it and selling- but not everyone would have sold a boat based on hearing noise.

CMs handle erie fine- and thats a different kind of rough up there. I wouldn't worry bout running one in the south bay most of the time, from what I've seen and heard about it. Now running a 17' in the SB is nuts- I won't run my 17' in erie, cause I know better. I've got nothing in this, but just hate to see CM get a bad rap for no good reason and I haven't seen one yet.
It's not the Great South Bay, it's Long Island Sound, big difference. Like I said, I'm describing MY experience with one, there seems to be plenty of CM flag wavers here so maybe my experience is an anomaly, that's for the OP to determine. Is it better that I just say nothing and let the fans be the only ones providing input to bimini run? This forum is for feedback, I'm not reporting hearsay but my actual experience...why is this an issue to everyone? There was also more to it than just noise. Enough for him to justify selling it and getting an offshore boat.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Getchecked
The molds for most of the C/M's have been around for years and from what I understand they have had the same guy's popping them out molds for that same time which tells me they got it down to a science.
The boats gelcoat work is second to none in a price range that does not pull your pants down. I am a comparison guy, Anyone who wants to put a C/M next to a S/B -- Progression or any other boat 30' foot and under your on.
Paint schemes -- The fact is that while other companies have been offering the same tired old paint schemes for years. C/M has constantly updated all options for there boats.
You want to buy the best boat for your moneyin my opinion-- for whatever its worth. Buy a Checkmate bare hull and interior. Then wire and power the boat yourself (if possible) and I will promise you that you will have a boat that will look sharper and run all day with the competition for about 20 to 30 percent less money. More money does not always coincide with a better product. Lets face it gentlman after the mold anybody can buy Livorsi Guages - mercury motors IO or outboard - controls - and all the other little goodies that make boats look and run good. Please consider all my opinions I have stated.

The gelcoat is awesome.... when its not cracked a thousand different ways. I agree with lightspeed. He has a 29 progression that would run CIRCLES around the checkmate for way less money and along with way more reliability.

So tell me in your world of expierence where and when have you seen checkmate boats and I will quote you (cracked a THOUSAND different ways-- Now back up whats come out of your mouth and has been translated so eloquently to a thread on a boating web site. For a person who also said and I will quote you --(I am not knocking Checkmates)

As far as stress cracks -- All the people that say C/M's have stress cracking problems -- I say I am from MIZZORI -- Show me -- outside of that stop your
Or just have Randy rig it for you in Fla. He does a fine job.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=199931
Attached Thumbnails Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs-cmate1.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Bottom line for all you naysayers and idiots that call Checkmates "crackmates". Checkmate has been around for over 40 years building performance/family boats...and built-managed by the same family members that started the company (Bill, Kip and Mike Combs)...even though the company has recently been purchased by Doug Smith of Baja fame (who's made some great new improvements). The boats are all end-grain balsa cored topdecks, sides, and hulls. Their mold/glasswork is second to none. There are probably more old Checkmates running around than any other manufacturer. Yes, they are more mass produced than some of the "custom" boats mentioned..but they're all hand layed by people that have worked at the factory for years and take tremendous pride in their product. They have never gone bankrupt (like many other boat builders) and have survived the bad economy. Many famed boat builders are long gone or in financial troubles.
I've seen stress cracks in every manufacturer including Cig, Apache, Sonic, Fountain, Active Thunder, Velocity, Outerlimits, etc, including Checkmate. I've never seen or heard of a Checkmate delaminating or coming apart and yes..any boat can become a victim of wet core if not cared for properly. Pound for Pound, dollar for dollar, I still feel that Checkmate is still one of the best boats out there...and I can attest, that my 21' Pulsare may not be the fastest small boat out there but when the waters get snotty my 21' Checkmate will take me places where the Hydrostreams, Allisons, Actions, Talons, STV's, Mirages, 1/4 Shots, etc. will not venture!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.