Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs >

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Notices

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
It's not the Great South Bay, it's Long Island Sound, big difference. Like I said, I'm describing MY experience with one, there seems to be plenty of CM flag wavers here so maybe my experience is an anomaly, that's for the OP to determine. Is it better that I just say nothing and let the fans be the only ones providing input to bimini run? This forum is for feedback, I'm not reporting hearsay but my actual experience...why is this an issue to everyone? There was also more to it than just noise. Enough for him to justify selling it and getting an offshore boat.
Didn't realize you were talking about the sound- I know nothing about the conditions there and how they compare to lakes I know. Also, you have every reason to have input on this and give advice to Bimini Run- thats what OSO is all about.
From what I read it seemed like 17' the boat that had cracking issues was going up against a much larger (30'?) boat in really rough conditions and the other boat had made cracking noises?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Or just have Randy rig it for you in Fla. He does a fine job.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=199931
GetChecked's boat came from Randy's.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered

Whatever dude...My experience with Checkmate is that the one I was on was not compatible with the waters it was run in which is Long Island Sound...period. It was also evident to the owner who ran it only a few times out there in regards to his investment. I'm giving this information to bimini run as feedback so he can make an informed decision. I don't care about the boats either way, I don't think good or bad about them just, relaying my experience in moderate waters. I'm glad you like yours and hope you have continued fun with it.
Question
Do you think that C/M would have the loyal following it does if it were a bad boat?? AHH I don't think so!!

Wow. Looks like the Checkmate boys are coming out in full force. I used to own a Checkmate before my Powerplay.

Great boat for it's intended purpose and yes the gel coat was amazing. However it does not compare to a Powerplay in rough water. You are talking about a production boat and comparing it to a boat that was custom made.

Take a ride in a Powerplay some time and note the difference. They are built like a tank.

[I]I have it's a great boat but when you use the word custom are you saying that they were built to order?
Alot of claims are made about alot of boats but it all is based on opinion.
Is Powerplay still in business?
[/I]
Or just have Randy rig it for you in Fla. He does a fine job.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=199931
Attached Thumbnails
You got it-- he does the best work on the best boat-- pound for pound -- dollar for dollar -- Opinion of course

Bimini If you are looking at the boat at Ocean Outboard I was fortunate enough to go for a test ride about 2 years ago -- You will love the boat -- And yeas it will run with any 30 foot boat out there rough or calm comparitively speaking. -- Now the bad part -- The interior is dated and needs to be changed. Though the power was sufficent you would be much better off running 3.2 300x or xs on there either way you will have one hell of a rig.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
Bottom line for all you naysayers and idiots that call Checkmates "crackmates". Checkmate has been around for over 40 years building performance/family boats...and built-managed by the same family members that started the company (Bill, Kip and Mike Combs)...even though the company has recently been purchased by Doug Smith of Baja fame (who's made some great new improvements). The boats are all end-grain balsa cored topdecks, sides, and hulls. Their mold/glasswork is second to none. There are probably more old Checkmates running around than any other manufacturer. Yes, they are more mass produced than some of the "custom" boats mentioned..but they're all hand layed by people that have worked at the factory for years and take tremendous pride in their product. They have never gone bankrupt (like many other boat builders) and have survived the bad economy. Many famed boat builders are long gone or in financial troubles.
I've seen stress cracks in every manufacturer including Cig, Apache, Sonic, Fountain, Active Thunder, Velocity, Outerlimits, etc, including Checkmate. I've never seen or heard of a Checkmate delaminating or coming apart and yes..any boat can become a victim of wet core if not cared for properly. Pound for Pound, dollar for dollar, I still feel that Checkmate is still one of the best boats out there...and I can attest, that my 21' Pulsare may not be the fastest small boat out there but when the waters get snotty my 21' Checkmate will take me places where the Hydrostreams, Allisons, Actions, Talons, STV's, Mirages, 1/4 Shots, etc. will not venture!
Agreed, checkmates are great boats (and certainly would pull way from any of the aformentioned in your previous post). But, like getchecked said, when it comes to the rough stuff a 30 foot checkmate would not hold a CANDLE to a powerplay, superboat, activator, kryptonite, pantera, progression, laveycraft, sutphen or velocity (given these are all custom boats). Which brings me to my next point, which is overlooked in this kind of market. Production boats are holding their value a lot better than the less known custom builders just mentioned. You're more likley to find a killer deal on one of these custom boats than a production boat. For god sakes, theres a 29 kryptonite sport going for only $40k! There's a 29 progression going for 29k! Both 80-90mph boats! Theres a 2005 Y2k with a fresh 500 going for 39K! AND these are all ASKING prices. Checkmate makes a great family lake boat. They have awesome gelcoat work, but dollar for dollar in THIS market you should give the custom boats a look. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide to get!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Registered

my mate does have 1 stress crack in the corner of sunpad area. Its been there since i bought it last summer(has not grown a bit). I'm 24, run on erie in a 23.5 boat and it makes sounds somtimes that i find halarious. If I havent broke it yet Im pretty sure it'll be fine...Ill keep the extra $$ in my pocket for booze and gas.....Besides who here honestly has really even damaged a boat from running in rough water>? Honestly>? I don't mean you hit a sandbar or raced professionally offshore, Im talking average joe. I used to bang around a 18 foot bayliner my buddys dad owned all the time when i was 16...we killed the motor not the hull....Just kinda seems like a little overkill to me...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW... I run my '99 283 Convincor hard in the LOTO washing machine on any given weekend. I don't plan my day around rough water... I run with my Fountain, Hawk, and Cig friends thru it. Boat is solid and holding up well. Ask them.

Oh, and it'll be in the Shootout again this year.
(Not that it has anything to do with rough water... )
Old 01-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Agreed, checkmates are great boats (and certainly would pull way from any of the aformentioned in your previous post). But, like getchecked said, when it comes to the rough stuff a 30 foot checkmate would not hold a CANDLE to a powerplay, superboat, activator, kryptonite, pantera, progression, laveycraft, sutphen or velocity (given these are all custom boats). Which brings me to my next point, which is overlooked in this kind of market. Production boats are holding their value a lot better than the less known custom builders just mentioned. You're more likley to find a killer deal on one of these custom boats than a production boat. For god sakes, theres a 29 kryptonite sport going for only $40k! There's a 29 progression going for 29k! Both 80-90mph boats! Theres a 2005 Y2k with a fresh 500 going for 39K! AND these are all ASKING prices. Checkmate makes a great family lake boat. They have awesome gelcoat work, but dollar for dollar in THIS market you should give the custom boats a look. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide to get!

Just for the record the boat that this thread is about will run mid 80's to 90 with no problem
Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
[B[/B]

Once again you are making a statement based on your opinion. Have you ever owned a 25'+ C/M ?
What defines a custom boat to you??
Fountains were and Donzi's and most Cigarettes just to name a few -- On the west coast you have Eliminator and Warlock are produced just like C/M's are you saying THEY CAN NOT HOLD A CANDLE TO THE BOATS YOU NAMED. You better go get your head examined!!
Son -- I will tell you this out of your own mouth (again) You have stated tbe best reason (NOT) to but one of those boats!!!!!! (RESALE) Guys who own them -- Can not give them away!!!!
What does that tell you??
C/m's resale vaue is as good as any boat on the market today. If the boats you and Lightspeed describe as the 9th Wonders of the world were as wonderful as you say how come they are not falling off the classified adds. Let me say this, the economy excuse only goes so far.
Quality and a fair price sells!!
I am getting the feeling that (as usual) The same old Long Island crowd who are legends in the own mind -- who write without having data to back it up -- Are shooting off there mouths. As usual what is comming out is the same old nonsense.
Zero
Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Getchecked
[B[/B]

I am getting the feeling that (as usual) The same old Long Island crowd who are legends in the own mind -- who write without having data to back it up -- Are shooting off there mouths. As usual what is comming out is the same old nonsense.
Zero
Some of us Long Islanders run Checkmates and are happy with the ride.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
Some of us Long Islanders run Checkmates and are happy with the ride.
Go Get em Vin -- Checkmate needs as many voices as we can get out there!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.