Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   V Bottom or Tunnel?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222890-v-bottom-tunnel.html)

2Slow4me 01-16-2010 10:22 PM

V Bottom or Tunnel??

I have a 20'7" Eliminator V Bottom with pad, 454 Magnum CMI Headers Bravo drive 28" 4 Blade Bravo nose cone, raised drive.

Runs rock solid @ 82 MPH on GPS (under perfect conditions, no back seat, cold weather, under 1/4 tank)

Runs amazing.

I'm considering a 21' or 22' Eliminator Daytona Tunnel (or similar)

But not sure of the "fun" factor. My boat flys and it "walks" a bit, great fun and you have to pay attention when driving.

My brother has a steped Lavey Craft, smooth, but boring, and very slow in comparison.

I'm affraid with the tunnel I'll need crazy power to get the rush??

I like the I/O due to the sound (I know an outboard will kick the stuff out of and I/O, but prefer the big bock sound)

any thoughts?

Anyone drivin both??

P.S. I'm on a lake with small waves, so both boats would be fine for me.

Catmando 01-17-2010 12:38 AM

I think the 22 Daytona has a cockpit floor instead of the exposed stringers on the 21 but I could be wrong. It's a taller boat too so you're sitting in it instead of on it. That's the way I would go with a small tunnel.

2Slow4me 01-21-2010 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3025607)
I think the 22 Daytona has a cockpit floor instead of the exposed stringers on the 21 but I could be wrong. It's a taller boat too so you're sitting in it instead of on it. That's way I would go with a small tunnel.

That is correct, and there is about a 500 lb weight difference as well.

I like the look of the 21, but like the floor and space of the 22.

Have your driven either of these?? and if so, how do they feel compared to a V bottom?

bobsbillets 01-21-2010 01:44 PM

I owned a 22 daytona. Youll love it. Once you ride or drive in a cat you ll never want to be in a V again!

Out There 01-21-2010 03:37 PM

Just check into insurance rates before you make a decision. That could make the choice easy.

thedonz 01-21-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by bobsbillets (Post 3028794)
I owned a 22 daytona. Youll love it. Once you ride or drive in a cat you ll never want to be in a V again!

lets see some pics of your Jaguar those were AWSOME bats in their time

2Slow4me 01-22-2010 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by bobsbillets (Post 3028794)

Thanks!
I've been in many cat's, but have never driven one, I've been in a 19, 21' 24' skater, 28' + 30 daytona.

The one thing I found in all, but the 19, they felt slow (the 28 + 30 did 100)

But because they were so smooth, it felt like nothing (fun, but not the same)

What power did you have? i/o or outboard? Top speed?

2Slow4me 01-22-2010 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pantera572 (Post 3028854)
Just check into insurance rates before you make a decision. That could make the choice easy.

Are cats more money to insure??

I assume becuase they can flip? (vs a v can barrel roll)

Catmando 01-22-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2Slow4me (Post 3029178)
Are cats more money to insure??

I assume becuase they can flip? (vs a v can barrel roll)

Cat insurance will cost you more money for sure. Most insurance companies don't like fast cats but there are several on here who will insure them.

Give Stacy a call at www.wakezoneinsurance.com.

Out There 01-22-2010 05:46 PM

Cats can cost thousands to insure vs hundreds. I am a big fan of cats but the insurance has kept me out of them. It's just a good idea to know going in before you buy. There have been some good threads on the subject.