Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dually tires.......how close is too close? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/223055-dually-tires-how-close-too-close.html)

t500hps 01-19-2010 08:17 PM

Dually tires.......how close is too close?

Dually tires....how close is too close?

I'm looking at larger tires and trying to avoid large spacers? Based on my calculations the new tires would be 1/4in apart at the bottom where the tire bulges out near the ground.....with a load it may get even closer.....and this is with a 1/2 spacer but that would leave the lug-nuts flush with the end of the studs and 1/8 from the last threads (the threads stop short of the end of the bolts)

The other option is 2in spacers that have additional bolts for the outer tire to bolt to. These would leave the tire sticking outside the wheel well 2.5 inches and I'm hoping to avoid that.

US1 Fountain 01-19-2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3027476)
Dually tires....how close is too close?

.....and this is with a 1/2 spacer but that would leave the lug-nuts flush with the end of the studs and 1/8 from the last threads (the threads stop short of the end of the bolts)

I wouldn't go with less than full thread contact if possible. Are there longer studs that you could swap yours out for?

Young Performance 01-19-2010 08:39 PM

I was told a minimum of 3/4" between the tires to be able to load the truck to capacity. You could run less if you don't, or ever plan to, run a full load. If they touch they will generate so much heat that it could cause a tire failure.
I used a company out in CA. quite a few years ago that can cut, add 1", and weld back steel wheels. I had it done on a set of Dodge factory steel wheels. We put some Remington mud brute tires on it that would have just touched each other with the stock wheels. I sent them the wheels and they cut them about 1 1/2"from the flange. They added in 1" of material and welded it all back together. They did an excellent job and it drive like new. I put over 200K miles on the truck after that with no problems. If you want, I can try to find there name.
Eddie

Catmando 01-19-2010 08:55 PM

If you want, I can try to find there name.
Eddie

Please do...

halfbuzzed 01-19-2010 08:56 PM

you will need about 3/4 inch spacing. And even more importantly you must have at least 6 full turns per lug

BigSilverCat 01-19-2010 09:52 PM

I had a crew cab dually that I raced at the local drag strip.. nos. propane, bigger turbo, injectors , custom computer, thunderbird foot throttle sensor(try and figure out how that gives you a half second) ect.. ect... anyway. I put wide tires on it and they touched all the way around and everyone told me they would blow up in a few miles of driving it.... two years later of hauling my 42' cat back and forth to the lake I finally had to replace them because they were bald and never blew out....
fast forward to last year im driving my dually with stock tires and rims with a gap between them and both tires on my passenger side blow out at the same time for no reason. and the inside side walls look like they had been rubbing on each other and melting.. go figure..

ZBODaytona 01-20-2010 08:43 AM

I had a buddy that put larger tires on his dually. He talked to a few old timers and they said if they touch they need to touch all the way round. Well he did it there way, never had a problem. Wore the tires out and carried some good loads with them. Though when he went to get new ones, he didn't like how the side walls looked, so he bought spacers. Hasn't had a problem with the 2" spacers and he does carry some heavy loads.

BDARCHER 01-20-2010 09:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I make wheel spacer and adapters from golf carts to big truck wheels for a 1 ton. I use Alcoa or Kasier Alum and studs are made in USA. I can make any thickness you need. You might need to use a thiner adapter spacer and trim the studs. Let me know if i can help. Bobby

CustomRigger101 01-20-2010 09:29 AM

the wheel spacers work REALLY GOOD for daul axle trucks.. then you can move to a 19.5 tire and get 100k plus on tires

YP is right on the money.. with tire load you want alittle more room..

t500hps 01-20-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BDARCHER (Post 3027809)
I make wheel spacer and adapters from golf carts to big truck wheels for a 1 ton. I use Alcoa or Kasier Alum and studs are made in USA. I can make any thickness you need. You might need to use a thiner adapter spacer and trim the studs. Let me know if i can help. Bobby 901-626-0005

DAM...those look exactly like what I need. I know they make 2in and it appears the 1.5in will be too thin to clear the spacers......but 2in will give me ALOT of gap between tires, maybe a 1.75 will be the best custom made option.