A bedtime offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder >

A bedtime offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder

Notices

A bedtime offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder

Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't want to grow up, but still would like to live your life. Hope to make it to Marco next month and see you out at Keywayden.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the ending was going to be that they are now Powerboaters...Great story anyhow.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only you BOB. Its a pleasure knowing you!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you everone for your kind words. Since some of you would like more, I am working on another true adventure story. The elements include a shark encounter, 4 of us almost perishing in a storm in the Gulf stream, another unpleasant encounter with US Customs, how a US boat can all of a sudden become a Canadian boat without ever going to Canada, how you "launder" such a boat and even how I manage to ruin a friends perfectly good atificial leg. I promise you will laugh, you will cry and you will not sleep from the terror if you read it as a bedtime story.
I will tonight, just in time for bedtime reading. Because it takes place over a couple of days it will be twice as long as story #1. Have your PJ's and reading light on. LOL
Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-23-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Read, thanks BTB
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

There is an interesting continuation to this story. First at the time of writing the story I could not remember his name and refer to him as Wally. I was able to find an e mail from him and his name is actually Charles W ….. . Eventually he bought a new sailboat and headed down to the Caribbean with his wife. When in Fajardo, Puerto Rico he sees my old PREDATOR, the one that came to his rescue. I found this e mail he sent to me after he came across the boat. I had hoped to meet up with him down there last year but our travel schedules did not mesh.

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:42:24 -0300
Subject: Predator!
To: robertbarnhart……

Greetings from the couple you rescued in May of 2005 in Key West,
We have been in the Cribbean since Nov, home porting in Puerto Del Rey Marina and cruising throughout the Virgin Islands-Spanish, US, and British. In spite of incredible new- boat problems, we have been having fun. We came into the marina yesterday to do some maintenance, repair the radar, and pick up friends from Montana at the aeropuerto Monday. Just after we got tied up, I heard the sweet sounds of full-throttle, multlple, one-boat high performance engines out of sight beyond the break water. Soon, Predator came growling by! Strainght to the fuel dock of course. Later, coming back from check-in, I saw him at a slip with two younger guys washing him. So, I stopped to talk and found out that the two guys were the captain and 1st mate//engineer of Predator's new owner's 61' sport fisher. They also manage and care for Predator. That morning they had done some tuning on Predator and had just come back from a 'check' ride.
I asked if you still owned him, but they said you had sold to their boss, no name offered. They asked how I came to know Predator, so I told them our story. They were impressed. Oh how I remember Predator and you with warm gratitude. It was a magic moment as I stood there looking at him. How could one use the traditional 'her' or 'she' when referring to Predator. So, once again thank you. Best to you and would love to hear what you are up to if you get a chance.

Warmest regards
Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

What a great adventure. Never boring with you Bob!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

thats really what its all about, the impression you leave on the people that you meet. . . . .

great read as always Bob, thanks
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )