Cleaning the gunk off the motors >

Cleaning the gunk off the motors

Notices

Cleaning the gunk off the motors

Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
Strip... I think I se a spot on one of those! Just kidding. I see you take very good care of your motors. So- just to be clear... I can spray my motors with cleaner ( simple Green) and then hose them down with water?? Then after that spray them with CRC 656.
Strip's display is VERY sweet!!

Yes Austin, simple green will work. For stock motor finishes the Gunk degreaser may perform best as it foams to loosen belt dust build-up, ect. . Rinse with low pressure hot water if possible for best results (AVOIDING THE IGNITION COMPONENTS), then use a corrosion protector such as CRC.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

How does a boat motor get this bad? Its not like there is road grime or other things passing through the vents? Did it blow up? I can understand a little build up on the intake from blow by or crank case ventalation, but not so much that you are looking for things that are generally used to clean a diesel in a big rig.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think in my case it was that I used a wax type corrosion inhibitor and over time dust and just general crap stuck to that. TxHawk- they're not that dirty, but, I just really enjoy looking back at clean well maintained motors. Why let them get dirty and corroded ... just wish I had learned this "lifes lesson" at 15!

Thanks for all the replys- it's a perfect Sunday to be in the bilge.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O

Yes Austin, simple green will work. For stock motor finishes the Gunk degreaser may perform best as it foams to loosen belt dust build-up, ect. . Rinse with low pressure hot water if possible for best results (AVOIDING THE IGNITION COMPONENTS), then use a corrosion protector such as CRC.
+1 exactly what I did..Gunk degreaser followed up by a fogging of the entire engine compartment of CRC-56
Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

I use S100 on my Harley. Spray it on the cold engine, hose it off and use my leaf blower to dry it. Stuff is awesome.

Has anyone tried S100 on their boat engines?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered

Simple and easy way...just use Dawn and water, cuts grease and doesn't hurt anything
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the gunk off the motors-gary-just-finished.jpg  
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Kelly O

Thanks,I used simple green on a company truck,it ate the paint on the air cleaner,valve covers etc,I probaly used it straight bake then.

Ive never used any kind of protectant on the motor,it attracts dust ,makes it greasy looking then ya half to use a degreaser,I dont see much salt water during a year,there is no bare metal that could rust.

The only thing I hate is water spots,thats what messes up the polished aluminum,Thats been a reason to pull motors in winter just to repolish them.Brake cleaner works good also.

as for the bilge I will use gunk if its a spill,and Dawn.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Rookie
Strip, your bilge is just SICK!
Thanks I try to do the same with the rest of the boat also

Drives,buffed and waxed gelcoat in the cabin and bathroom too

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the gunk off the motors-boat-car-show-jan-2010-062-large-.jpg   Cleaning the gunk off the motors-interior-snow-12-04-09-076-large-.jpg   Cleaning the gunk off the motors-interior-snow-12-04-09-019-large-.jpg  

Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Very nice looking interior you got there, Rob...

where are all the cuffs???

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jayboat
Very nice looking interior you got there, Rob...

where are all the cuffs???
Thanks,No cuffs,just hidden eyelets

Jay I need your opinion,I have a Canon Power shot S5IS,Most of the picks I take the picks are grainy/snowy looking,I mainly use auto and use some of the manual setting,same results,the flash whitens the pick/glare.I think I'm not steady with the shots,its has the image stabl stuff,

Do I need to take a class and learn about the manual setting and what they do? I have a old Canon ae1program film camera it takes clear shots.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...is-review.html

Heres a pick of my Niece,I cant tell whats causing this,its like when there is less light it takes a clearer picture.and the flash whites it out

Thanks for any suggestions.
Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.