OT: Another crazy lawsuit! >

OT: Another crazy lawsuit!

Notices

OT: Another crazy lawsuit!

Old 04-16-2002, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OT: Another crazy lawsuit!

I thought you had to work hard to be able to afford the better things in life. NOT!!!!

USA: Fat compensation claim from snack-eating dieter
15 Apr 2002
Source: just-food.com editorial team

Thirty-seven year old Meredith Berkman claims that she suffered “weight gain… mental anguish, outrage and indignation” when she discovered that a snack product contained more fat than its label indicated, and is set to argue in court that the “emotional distress” can be valued at US$50m.

Robert's American Gourmet Food recalled three snack products, Pirate's Booty, Veggie Booty and Fruity Booty, in January when it discovered that new machinery was causing a discrepancy between the nutritional information in the snacks and on the labels. The Good Housekeeping Institute found that Pirate’s Booty actually contained 147 calories and 8.5 grams of fat, but that its label said it contained 120 calories and 2.5 grams of fat.

Berkman brought the claim for compensation in a New York lawsuit, arguing that the company’s oversight foiled her diet.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:39 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i hate frivalous law suits. BUT i have spoken with robert of robert's gourmet and a buddy of mine used to work for him and he is a Dickhead, with a capital D. SO i hope he looses!!!!

But the white cheddar puffs are pretty tastey.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:54 AM
Registered

Troutly,
It's low fat so 100 is not out of line.

Puder,
Waht gose around comse around. i cna't wait to see one of the big candy companies get sued for EMOTIONAL DISTRESS due to weight.
Dan

BTW, It hurts to spell like that.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

147 calories and 8.5 grams/fat, is low fat?? NOT!

If a person is truely on a low fat diet they should eat foods that contain no more than 3 grams of fat per 100 calories. So that 147 calories should really have no more than 4.5 grams of fat.
8.5 grams/fat is almost double the amount for that serving.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pirate's Booty??? What kind of sick and twisted food is this?
Old 04-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From the National Review:

When states first started raising cigarette taxes to confiscatory levels, many Americans supported it in order to reduce smoking, which is widely viewed as unhealthy. They also supported law suits against the tobacco industry because the revenue was to be used to pay for anti-smoking campaigns. Even those who were skeptical on both counts mostly shrugged off their concerns since they themselves did not smoke.

All along, there were a few people warning that if the campaign against tobacco was successful, it would inevitably lead to special taxes and law suits against other products. Such concerns were universally dismissed as paranoid or tobacco industry propaganda. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. The same people behind the campaign against tobacco are gearing up to do it again to sugar, fat, and the foods that contain them.

As with tobacco, those leading the effort justify it on the grounds of health. Americans are obese, they say. We consume too many empty calories and not enough fruits and vegetables. The problem is especially acute among youth, we are told, who eat far too much candy and snack foods, gulp soft drinks by the gallon, and get too little exercise.

Although Americans have been lectured for years about eating healthy and getting into shape, the problem has only gotten worse. The culprit, we are now told, is that food prices are too low, unhealthy fast food is too convenient, restaurant portions too large, and advertising for all these things has been too successful.

In short, the campaign against Big Food is following the attack on Big Tobacco almost to a "T." The only thing we haven't heard yet is about how Big Macs, Mars bars, and Coca-Cola are addictive. I assume studies are underway to prove it, leading inevitably to charges that McDonalds, Hershey, and other purveyors of this poison knew all along and covered it up. Any day now, I expect to hear that Big Food has secretly been adding special ingredients with known health risks — like salt — to their products for years to tempt the ignorant. No doubt, one of Ralph Nader's groups, heavily funded by the trial lawyers, will issue a report on the subject demanding congressional action.

At this point, many readers are probably chuckling and thinking that I am playing an April Fool's prank. But it is all true. Just last week, California State Senator Deborah Ortiz, Democrat of Sacramento, introduced legislation in that state hiking taxes on all sugared soft drinks, whether carbonated or not. Her goal, she says, is to reduce consumption of such products among youth in order to help control obesity.

Other states are eliminating sales-tax exemptions for snack foods in the name of fighting fat. Connecticut, for example, plans to remove an exemption that now exists from the general sales tax for candy sold in schools, nursing homes, and hospitals. This action would raise their cost by 6%.

Adding some scholarly veneer to these efforts is a new book, Food Politics (University of California Press), by New York University nutritionist Marion Nestle. She indicts the food industry for producing too much, tempting us with foods that taste too good, being too efficient, charging too little for their products, and being culpable in the epidemic of obesity. The book is getting a big push from the same crowd that told us about the evils of Big Tobacco.

Ms. Nestle is only the latest liberal academic to tread this path. A few years ago, Yale psychologist Kelly Brownell got headlines calling for a "Twinkie tax" on unhealthy food. He also
called for regulation of advertising for "junk food" just as tobacco advertising is restricted. "As a culture, we get upset about Joe Camel, yet we tolerate our children seeing 10,000 commercials a year that promote foods that are every bit as unhealthy," Brownell says.

Sadly, little has been put forward to counter this campaign to control everything we eat for our own good. The only people cited in opposition in news stories are spokesmen for the restaurant industry or companies manufacturing the products under attack. Liberal reporters know full well that such comments, no matter how true or well reasoned, will be dismissed as self-serving. Thus, for now, the do-gooders who want to take away our candy and soft drinks are getting a free ride.

It will be too bad if most Americans react to the campaign against Big Food the same way they reacted to that on Big Tobacco. They may think that using taxes to discourage obesity is reasonable. But if the zealots are successful, we will have lost a little more of our freedom and given the government yet another means of controlling our behavior and picking our pockets.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen!! But how will the government or the "Good For You Group"- regulate or tax :
Grandma's cookies, candies, pies & cakes,
Kool-Aid or Lemonade w/unlimited sugar added at home?

We all know grandma's stuff is good for us!!

It's another attempt to convince us that government knows best (that's a Democratic Party Platform isn't it???), & they are doing what's best for us by making us pay more for it, so the gov't makes more in taxes, so they can start another federal bureacracy(sp?) to justify the taxes again, and spend more of OUR money......
If a person WANTS to lose weight they can. I dropped 22# in the last 2 months, just by deleting sugared pop, breads, pasta & rice!
No real will power required. I still eat all I want. The lawsuits are frivolous and should be thrown out of court. What about "personal responsibility"???? It is OUR choice!
Old 04-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Banned

I'm sure the government is working on the "Balance Diet Act" as we speak. What ever happened to self determination? It amazes me that the government thinks they can legislate health. Why don't they do us all a favor and just outlaw cancer and heart disease? It would be as easy to implement.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a person WANTS to lose weight they can. I dropped 22# in the last 2 months, just by deleting sugared pop, breads, pasta & rice!
No real will power required. I still eat all I want. The lawsuits are frivolous and should be thrown out of court. What about "personal responsibility"???? It is OUR choice!

Until you get into medical problems such as the functional ability of a persons Thiroid gland.
There are actual medical reasons why people cannot loose weight.
No diet or exercise can change that.