In need of a classic Scarab decoding >

In need of a classic Scarab decoding

Notices

In need of a classic Scarab decoding

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of a classic Scarab decoding

Hello everyone, My Name is Brian and I am new to Offshore Only. I have recently bought a 1986 38' Scarab project. I will post some pictures, some of you may have seen it on ebay for sale.
But my question is, can someone help decode the serial number? I have attemped to get in touch with Wellcraft but their automated phone send you from customer service option to account receivable and only to leave a message.
Trying to find out what the model is, if it is constructed from fiberglass or kevlar and if the X dimension is higher with offshore motor mounts verses stock mounts?
Looking forward to get this project completed so I can run with you guys and gals on the west end of Lake Erie. (Just can't seem to keep up with a cabin cruiser) Thanks for your help!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post some pics of it,I'm sure someone here knows the history an most of the specs. Good luck with the project.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wellcraft is basically out of business. Even when they were open, they were not very helpful. Genmar Marine (Irwin Jacobs) which was the last ownership group, didnt have anything to do with the Scarabs of the 80's. Wellcraft only made replacement parts for any given model for a few years, then most owners went out on their own for parts. Your best bet is to post pics and let the OSO boys help you out.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
VIP Member

Here it goes, trying to upload pic. I'll get better daylight pic later.
Attached Thumbnails In need of a classic Scarab decoding-scarab-project-014.jpg   In need of a classic Scarab decoding-scarab-project-015.jpg   In need of a classic Scarab decoding-scarab-project-016.jpg  

Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered

It looks like a 377. Most had staggered engines. If it has staggered engines it will plane effortlessly and ride extremely well. Good luck, it looks like a nice boat.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Registered

PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH THE HIN NUMBER AND I CAN HELP WITH THE INFO YOU LOOKING FOR
[email protected]
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
VIP Member

No, it doesn't have staggered engines. I bought without engines but the bellhousing tab suggest that it had 330hp 454's, It appears it was born with offshore mounts (front & mid plate ) but the mid plate was never attached the the stringers. Using the mid plate as a spacer is this common? Should the mid plate get attached to the stringers? The engine bay is unmolested so I beleive there wasn't any other type of mounting. This weekend I put in a mock engine setup and there is no clearance between the carb/flame arrester and the hatch, unless they used a 1" flame arrester. From pictures of other boat around the same age, it seems that this engines and drives sit higher in the hull. I am wondering if that is because it has offshore mounts? Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Registered

Most All Had Front Racing Mount With Rear Trans Supports The Mid Or Rear Engine Mounts Were Only Used On Staggered Motor Or Forward
This Boat Was Built With Trs And 400 Or 420 Hp 454 Cid
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default 377 Scarab

what is the centerline of the drive cutouts? Staggard Scarabs ran approx 21" apart with the staggar a full 42-48". Putting them in the way they were originally designed makes plenty height for them.
Where are(were) the side windows? above the gunnel?
Also, I had one and moved the rear hatch doors up on and angle to match the perimeter rail area. This gives plenty room for blowers if you want.
Hope it goes well. Posr more pics of the inside bilge and cockpit//helm and I may be able to help more.
Attached Thumbnails In need of a classic Scarab decoding-377-bilge-pic.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

Horizonal center line for the outdrives is 36 1/2". The vertical height is what appears to be higher then others I've seen pictures of.
The better question you asked was cabin windows. I say this because the cabin is unmolested and shows no signs of any cabin windows or any work that may have been done to fill in said cabin window. So if all these hulls come with some sort of cabin window, then I'm sure they where not fill in properly.
I'll post picture taken from this past weekend when I installed a mock engine combo.
Attached Thumbnails In need of a classic Scarab decoding-000_0741.jpg   In need of a classic Scarab decoding-000_0746.jpg   In need of a classic Scarab decoding-000_0750.jpg  

In need of a classic Scarab decoding-000_0748.jpg   In need of a classic Scarab decoding-000_0747.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.