Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
32 skater rough water ability >

32 skater rough water ability

Notices

32 skater rough water ability

Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

People that have never run a cat shouldnt really be able to comment about their ablilities in rough water. The only vee bottoms that can really hang with a cat for the speed ride and handling are Outerlimits. Any 36 Skater owner would love to run that Lavey and put them in their place in real water, not what looked like 2-3ft waves that was on that video. Who ever said a poker run was a race and everyone has to run their boat full tilt all the time?? That 32 Skater towards the end doesnt even look like its moving therefore the water cant be that rough. He was prob just cruising. I've been in a 32 in some east coast water at 100 and we were flyin. Water was probably 4ft, but real 4ft. That was after it died down from 5-6's earlier in the day that I ran our Sutphen in from Block Island. That 32 in that video was just flying along so its hard for me to believe that it was real rough.

Last edited by OL40SVX; 01-28-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JROMY
I think the biggest variable (even beyond driver skill) is the real "wave height" the boat is running in. I always love the stories of people on here running in 8 footers....at 70mph in a 25' boat on an inland lake. There is a huge difference between ocean waves, Long Island sound waves, Lake Michigan waves, and the frequency that you encounter the crests and troughs....and then of course once everyone is out in some rough stuff, the waves always seem to grow by about 4'...
That being said, someone that knows how to run that Skater will smoke that Lavey anytime.
Lets hope the guy posting the question can drive better than the guy with the 32 with twin 1100's.

Doenst look like big water to me..2-3's?

UD
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Not in that water it wont.

Thats what the owner of it told both Chris JR and Senior. Feel free to take it up wit those three- they are quite open and honest about it.

They were all the same poker run stops.

10 feet of boat length makes a huge difference in any kind of real water,as the situation demonstrates.

UD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gLuF0xM4xw

This my is my 26 yr in a 30 Shadow Cat with 700+ I will put up against that EVO in any water!!
All depends on the driving skills and his been in running cats since before he could drive cars..
Not sure what the guys running the Skaters were doing maybe cruising.
Its all good come on summer time.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
People that have never run a cat shouldnt really be able to comment about their ablilities in rough water. The only vee bottoms that can really hang with a cat for the speed ride and handling are Outerlimits. Any 36 Skater owner would love to run that Lavey and put them in their place in real water, not what looked like 2-3ft waves that was on that video. Who ever said a poker run was a race and everyone has to run their boat full tilt all the time?? That 32 Skater towards the end doesnt even look like its moving therefor the water cant be that rough. He was prop just cruising. I've been in a 32 in some east coast water at 100 and we were flyin. Water was probably 4ft, but real 4ft. That 32 in that video was just flying along so its hard for me to believe that it was rough.
I drive cats all the time.

I currently own 2 boats a tunnel hull and a V.

UD
Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HotPursuit

This my is my 26 yr in a 30 Shadow Cat with 700+ I will put up against that EVO in any water!!
All depends on the driving skills and his been in running cats since before he could drive cars..

Are you really saying your 30 ft cat will run with a 40 ft v in big water?

really?

UD
Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by HotPursuit

Biotch slapping Vees!
That is why your the Senior Skater brother
Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

in race conditions, outboard cats (less than 32') outrun twin 525 vee's (38-40') on a normal basis. This is nothing new in the offshore world.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted the question to get feedback and try to settle some local disagrements. I have had several cats over the years from 25 motions to eliminators and stepped up to a skater last year! I can tell you that I have run my 32 alot harder in a lot worse than what appers to be in that video. That 32 is setting pritty nice so I would have to agree that its not that rough? I didnt see it really catch any air!

Last edited by 32-DD; 01-28-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
in race conditions, outboard cats (less than 32') outrun twin 525 vee's (38-40') on a normal basis. This is nothing new in the offshore world.
I love cats,

Id never spot a guy 10 feet in big water in high performance V though.

Hot pursuits video looked like it was on a lake or a river, under these conditions (as I quoted earlier) the skater would run away from that Evo (really any V) - like it were chained to a house.

However- THAT DAY- it could not.
Despite an OVERWHELMING hp advantage.

UD
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32-DD
I posted the question to get feedback and try to settle some local disagrements. I have had several cats over the years from 25 motions to eliminators and stepped up to a skater last year! I can tell you that I have run my 32 alot harder in a lot worse than what appers to be in that video. That 32 is setting pritty nice so I would have to agree that its not that rough? I didnt see it really catch in air!
The Chris's said the guy was a cool of a dude as theyd ever met, and (why shouldnt he be he has a 32 skater with twin 1100's.)

They both told me he said he kept getting too much air when he tried to push it any harder.

Maybe we can find him, Id love to hear his take.

UD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.