making an i/o hull into a outboard engine hull

Notices

making an i/o hull into a outboard engine hull

Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making an i/o hull into a outboard engine hull

good day,

Im tring to find out if i make a hull manufactured for i/o engine into a outboard engine hull whats the good and bad bout this set up.

I was told that a hull made to run i/o engines the stakes stop further up causing more of the hull to sit in the water will running. So the result of this it takes more power to push the hull though the water. But a hull made to run outboards the strakes closest to the keel go further back which lets more of hull run out of the water with less power.

Is there any truth to this. And if so would mounting a transome bracket help get the boat a little more air or is it best to mount the engines on the transome. The hull I have in mind is a 32' mirage 1990. Im going to try to install a pair of outboards that are putting out about 320 each. The boat will be running open ocean. Location is U.S. Virgin Islands. Thanks for any help that can be given.

Last edited by vi top shatta; 01-30-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vi top shatta
good day,

Im tring to find out if i make a hull manufactured for i/o engine into a outboard engine hull whats the good and bad bout this set up.

I was told that a hull made to run i/o engines the stakes stop further up causing more of the hull to sit in the water will running. So the result of this it takes more power to push the hull though the water. But a hull made to run outboards the strakes closest to the keel go further back which lets more of hull run out of the water with less power.

Is there any truth to this. And if so would mounting a transome bracket help get the boat a little more air or is it best to mount the engines on the transome. The hull I have in mind is a 32' mirage 1990. Im going to try to install a pair of outboards that are putting out about 320 each. The boat will be running open ocean. Location is U.S. Virgin Islands. Thanks for any help that can be given.
There is absolutely no difference. The main consideration is with setting up things like fuel tank placement, storage...etc. because the issue is more about weight and balance. The bracket is, in my opinion, the only way to go. I recommend the Stainless Marine bracket. I've bought dozens over the years and they are the best... again, in my opinion. Scott Mander at Speed and Custom Marine(Intense Marine) has some scratch and dent SM twin engine brackets in stock that might be a good deal for you.

Good Luck,

T.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

Me sure you put plenty of knees in the transom
Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
freezeframevideo.net
Commercial Member

Received 779 Likes on 576 Posts

Some Thing Like This freeze frame