Notices

New performance boater

Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ndaniels
Are you just wanting to go with an i/o for power?
HUH?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
HUH?
Thanks for all your advice guys. I really appreciate it. Why the high insurance on cats over v hull? I also dont understand the i/o question. I have not seen many affordable options in offshore. The other question is drives. Anything in particular to stay away from? I really am just starting to scratch the learning surface on this. Bravo #1 , poker run , #6 , imco, all foreign language to me . Other than I know Mercruiser Bravos . Good bad ugy ??
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

HUH?
OR does he mind outboards?

There are alot of great boats up for sale right in that size range with twin outboards- just a thought. Sounds like he wants a car motor, though...

Last edited by ndaniels; 02-02-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

look hard at sunsation great boat built very well and built in your own backyard.and you will have awesome support from the factory that cant be beat.just ask anyone who has one.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ndaniels
OR does he mind outboards?

There are alot of great boats up for sale right in that size range with twin outboards- just a thought. Sounds like he wants a car motor, though...
Ahh, that explains it better. Good point to consider. Sometimes I think OB's are the way to go right up until I hear them run. I guess I could wear headphones with a CD of some great BBC's?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Originally Posted by smoker62
Thanks for all your advice guys. I really appreciate it. Why the high insurance on cats over v hull? I also dont understand the i/o question. I have not seen many affordable options in offshore. The other question is drives. Anything in particular to stay away from? I really am just starting to scratch the learning surface on this. Bravo #1 , poker run , #6 , imco, all foreign language to me . Other than I know Mercruiser Bravos . Good bad ugy ??
I think the I/O question was something to consider. Very reliable, faster, lighter and less maint.

TRS, #2,3,4,5,6's all require transmissions. Alpha's(Junk) Bravo 1's, XZ, XR, etc do not need trans. I would guess that youo'll be fine with a good set of B 1's or the like. XR's are more heavy duty for higher HP boats. #3-#6's are for even higher HP. TRS are old school high HP drives. Dont count them out, just harder to find parts for.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

Ahh, that explains it better. Good point to consider. Sometimes I think OB's are the way to go right up until I hear them run. I guess I could wear headphones with a CD of some great BBC's?
I hear ya... and agree about the sound.

For a guy just getting into performance boating I think outboards are good to consider going with to get your feet wet...

I wouldn't go shelling out crazy money on my first performance boat either- o/b, or i/o... Alot of really nice, reliable boats can be bought for 35k or less in that size range right now. That way you could figure what you like, get experience running a bigger fast boat, then sell and upgrade- without loosing your ass in the process.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Which ever way you go I would highly recommend a Performance Boat Course. I took mine from Tres Martin. Well worth the money.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WILD HAIRED CAT
Which ever way you go I would highly recommend a Performance Boat Course. I took mine from Tres Martin. Well worth the money.
Good advice, I was looking at the school coming to Detroit. About 3 hrs from me. I guess I did not read it enough. Do they have a boat or do you bring your own? I would guess it is a multiple student class so I would think they have a school boat? Also the price says it does not include instructor airfare, meals etc.etc. I didnt get that part either. I will read it again.

ndaniels, I was reading it like FB , never thought of the OB 's.
I guess no on that. I have an outboard now and want the bigblock thru hull sound . I have been addicted to that since I was a kid. My wife used to hang around with a group of guys in Racine before I met her. They all ran different boats, but 32 and up. I think she will get into it again. I guess my budget is limited to used at this time. I guess until my youngest graduates college. Probably 3-4years will give me time to learn the driving and grow into a bigger faster boat.