Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is spinning props in faster??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/223859-spinning-props-faster.html)

302Sport 02-02-2010 10:33 PM

Is spinning props in faster???

Who has run in and out, and has some real numbers for comparison??? I am running a straight bottom, side by side vee........

HotPursuit 02-02-2010 10:40 PM

Only one way to find out. I would put my money on faster with less handling/ control. More rpms because of the blades sharing more H20 from the transom..

302Sport 02-02-2010 10:45 PM

i know docking is harder, but say running in 2-3's, will the handling be any different???

POWERPLAY J 02-02-2010 10:47 PM

Gives more transom lift and less control...

GLH 02-02-2010 11:07 PM

Faster in but can't park worth the crap...

Running a Tiger with #6's and one with Bravo XR's before that, back then.

AO31 02-02-2010 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 302Sport (Post 3037486)
i know docking is harder, but say running in 2-3's, will the handling be any different???

Yes!

US1 Fountain 02-02-2010 11:35 PM

My boat was originally in. Docking sucked, backing up sucked even more. Boat felt loose and squirly when running full tilt.

I changed them to out. Docking is now a breeze, 100% more solid/stable when running, zero loss of speed.

I'd easily gave up 5 mph for the better control if that was the downside, but I didn't. Besides, do you spend more time running WOT or docking?

offshoredrillin 02-03-2010 06:26 AM

Depends on the boat;

first off, turning in creates bow lift, not stern lift. On my tiger it gave me a couple mph throughout the whole power band. the boat still docks fine, I noticed that at cruising speeds, I'm going the same speeds at less rpms, which to me shows the boat being more efficient. I have a 42 tiger and needed the bow to be carried more and went from 74 to 76.8. I just switched the props for a weekend to give it an honest test and loved it, actually the first time it hopped right up on plane convinced me, but i gave it another day to try all situations.

Audiofn 02-03-2010 07:31 AM

I think it depends on the boat. I switched my Formula 302 in and picked up about 200 RPM's and I actually liked the way the boat rode better with them in. I also did not have to trim it up as much to carry the bow. Never had a speedo hooked up to know the MPH increase. Docking was slightly more difficult but I think that was just that I did not have the time to get used to the different way things work.

302Sport 02-03-2010 07:32 AM

yeah turning in is def. more bow lift, i know that is a fact. But, does more bow lift mean more total lift??? I have read somewhere that turning props in is like lifting the x dimension??????? Also have heard that bigger diameter props create stern lift, but if spinning the props in, do they create more bow lift????