Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Good News For Boat Sales!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/223921-good-news-boat-sales.html)

blume 02-04-2010 08:20 AM

Good News For Boat Sales!!

"Brokerage Sales in January up From 2009"

Yacht brokerage sales results in the United States in January were higher than the same month a year earlier, but down somewhat from December 2009.

According to sales reported by industry brokers, unit sales improved over January 2009 by 29%, with 1,610 boats sold, and valuation of boats sold increased even more, by 42%, to $190.5 million. Despite those gains, the number of boats sold in January, compared to December, fell by 106 boats, and total valuation dropped by $53 million.

December and January are normally the weakest sales months of the year, based on average sales data from the last five years, with December weaker from 2005-2007 and January weaker in recent years. However, the number of boats sold in January 2010 slipped by another measure, dropping slightly below the five-year average, in contrast to sales in November and December 2009, which equaled or exceeded the five-year average.

On the plus side for many brokers, bigger boats continued to sell significantly better compared to the same month of the previous year. While sales of boats up to 55 feet long were up 25-30%, 66 boats over 55' changed hands, which represented a 78% increase from January 2009.

Powerboats led the increase in January, with a 30% increase in units and a 45% increase in valuation over January 2009. By comparison, sailboat sales improved by 26% in terms of units and valuation.

Back4More 02-04-2010 08:24 AM

Thats not good news...Its called liquidation.

Bobthebuilder 02-04-2010 08:54 AM

Raymond from DoubleR was in FL on business last week and was able to join me for our FMO fun run. His blackberry was going non stop. He said he has never been so busy. I have heard similar things from others as well. While I expect it will take some time for the market to normalize yet, I expect the best deals will soon be a thing of the past as the market strengthens....and it will. Just a matter of time.
Bob

bcfountain 02-04-2010 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Back4More (Post 3038415)
Thats not good news...Its called liquidation.

no chit about that.nothing like a shot in the arm to boost peoples morall.lol

floatingphil 02-04-2010 09:24 AM

My guess would be that many of these sales are to non-US customers.

lucky strike 02-04-2010 09:24 AM

Thats great news, mabe someone will buy my boat now.

offshoredrillin 02-04-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3038437)
Raymond from DoubleR was in FL on business last week and was able to join me for our FMO fun run. His blackberry was going non stop. He said he has never been so busy. I have heard similar things from others as well. While I expect it will take some time for the market to normalize yet, I expect the best deals will soon be a thing of the past as the market strengthens....and it will. Just a matter of time.
Bob

agreed, peter had a great post on face book. people want to buy and have good credit, but banks are being VERY difficult.

Pro1 02-04-2010 10:05 AM

The economy had a blip. Do not get too excited. The Obama economic policies are unrealistic and short economic decline will continue. Long term debt will also be very painful for the US.