Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   From 454 330 hp to 496 Ho 425 hp ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/224207-454-330-hp-496-ho-425-hp.html)

Monaco20 02-09-2010 12:40 PM

From 454 330 hp to 496 Ho 425 hp ??

Hi Guys

I have a 1988 242 SS with 1997 454 330 hp bravo 1. The engine is out of the boat beeing rebuild.

I have been offered a brand new 496 HO to a very interresting price

What will I gain (exept of course a brand new and bigger engine). Top speed? Accleration? Crusingspeed? Fuel consume? Durabiltiy? Are some of the questiones I would like to have some feedback on.

Do anyone have an 242 SS or LS with a 496 Ho???
Is it a good package?

What do you think about buying a brand new engine, and install it in a old boat like mine? Will I ever get some of the investment back??

Regards
From Oslo Norway

AppSysCons 02-09-2010 12:55 PM

Better everything!

454/330 carb, raw water cooling

496HO, EFI, closed cooling

RELIABILITY
PCM 555 sequential fuel injection and high energy distributorless ignition system ensure reliable starts and outstanding performance, year after year
Exclusive Engine Guardian protection senses potential problems and virtually eliminates the chance for engine damage due to overheating, low oil pressure, or low drive lube
Cartridge-type water-separating fuel filter helps protect fuel system and engine against damage
Proven GM cast iron big block V8 power for years of reliable operation
316 Stainless Steel dry-joint exhaust elbows better resist high temperature and corrosion and improve exhaust flow for more power
Brass sea water pump housing improves life and better resists damage from running dry
PERFORMANCE
Long individual runner intake manifold design provides optimum torque and horsepower for demanding marine applications
Tuned runner exhaust manifold lowers exhaust backpressure for best torque and power
Sequential Multi-Port Fuel Injection provides easy starts, cold or hot, and automatically adjusts for changes in temperature, weather, or altitude for terrific performance in any environment
High Energy distributorless ignition with knock control maximizes power and protects against low quality fuels
Standard anti-feedback power steering helps reduces operator fatigue and makes boat handling a breeze
Low restriction flame arrestor for added horsepower and torque
EASY OWNERSHIP
3-year/300 hour maintenance interval on many periodic service items saves time and money
Convenient top-mounted remote oil filter and threaded dipstick tube make oil changes cleaner and keep periodic servicing quick and simple
Color-coded service points makes checking fluid levels simple and straightforward
Operates on easy to find, less expensive 87 octane fuel
Engine-mounted drive lube monitor for easy lube check or add from inside the boat
Long-life anti-freeze only requires replacement every 5 years
Single point air-actuated water drain system standard

Monaco20 02-09-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by AppSysCons (Post 3042618)
Better everything!

454/330 carb, raw water cooling

496HO, EFI, closed cooling

RELIABILITY
PCM 555 sequential fuel injection and high energy distributorless ignition system ensure reliable starts and outstanding performance, year after year
Exclusive Engine Guardian protection senses potential problems and virtually eliminates the chance for engine damage due to overheating, low oil pressure, or low drive lube
Cartridge-type water-separating fuel filter helps protect fuel system and engine against damage
Proven GM cast iron big block V8 power for years of reliable operation
316 Stainless Steel dry-joint exhaust elbows better resist high temperature and corrosion and improve exhaust flow for more power
Brass sea water pump housing improves life and better resists damage from running dry
PERFORMANCE
Long individual runner intake manifold design provides optimum torque and horsepower for demanding marine applications
Tuned runner exhaust manifold lowers exhaust backpressure for best torque and power
Sequential Multi-Port Fuel Injection provides easy starts, cold or hot, and automatically adjusts for changes in temperature, weather, or altitude for terrific performance in any environment
High Energy distributorless ignition with knock control maximizes power and protects against low quality fuels
Standard anti-feedback power steering helps reduces operator fatigue and makes boat handling a breeze
Low restriction flame arrestor for added horsepower and torque
EASY OWNERSHIP
3-year/300 hour maintenance interval on many periodic service items saves time and money
Convenient top-mounted remote oil filter and threaded dipstick tube make oil changes cleaner and keep periodic servicing quick and simple
Color-coded service points makes checking fluid levels simple and straightforward
Operates on easy to find, less expensive 87 octane fuel
Engine-mounted drive lube monitor for easy lube check or add from inside the boat
Long-life anti-freeze only requires replacement every 5 years
Single point air-actuated water drain system standard

Woaw now I know more about the 496 HO, then my old 454 Carb 330. Thanks for the info, this engine are for sure interresting. Based on specs and what you and others have told me about the 496, I do not doubt that it is a good, solid and durable pice of work.

I did know of course that it is a much better engine ,then my old though rebuild 454 with 6 mnd garntiu. The matter is more if it is worth to put that kind of mony in my old 1988 Formula 242

I am very interrested to know the all over performance in my type of boat, anyone who knows?

Griff 02-10-2010 01:35 AM

You should see around a 7 mph gain on the top speed and better economy and reliability.

Monaco20 02-10-2010 06:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for the replies

Here are some more pics of my boat

When it come yo the 496 I am sure it is a good engine, what I need to consider is it cost almost as mouch as I paid for the boat
I have already ordred a complete rebuild of my 454, and I will get 6 mnds waranty
The boat is a nice 1988 with upgrading potential

So what I need now is of course some more adwises. feedback and some hard facts about the performance of Formula 242 SS or LS with a 496 Ho engine

NWPC 02-10-2010 06:37 PM

I swapped a 454 to a 496HO in my 94 Euro 24' Warlock. Had 2 great years with no issues and then got my money out when I sold it. The new owner says it stills runs like a new boat.

Mastercraft240 02-10-2010 10:26 PM

If you love the boat and plan to keep it for a couple of years it's a good investment. Also, you'll have the piece of mind with the reliability and fuel consumption.