Banks Sequential Super Turbo Marine diesel engine >

Banks Sequential Super Turbo Marine diesel engine

Notices

Banks Sequential Super Turbo Marine diesel engine

Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Banks Sequential Super Turbo Marine diesel engine

Remember the flak about Gale Banks marinizing a twin-turbo Duramax? Well, he's gone and improved the motor exponentially. His first twin turbo engine made 550hp and almost 1200ftlbs of torque with the motor's top rpms@3600. Banks wanted to bring the torque number down to about 1:1 so rpms could be increased, thereby increasing speed.

Now his Duramax makes 800hp and 900ftlbs@4500rpms. How did he do it? An Eaton TVM supercharger on top, feeding the turbos below. Not only that, the motor has Banks' proprietary Electronic Diesel Controller(EDC), which can limit rpms in cruisers to, say, 3800 and in performance boats to 5800. Think of the speeds that can be reached and the fuel mileage increases, especially with multi-speed transmissions!(Can you say Weismann? Knew you could )

The article is in the new Powerboat issue(March-April). No prices have been set yet, but I predict $50,000+.

C'mon Habana Joe, Jassman and all you diesel freeks, get in here!

Last edited by Catmando; 02-09-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting article, it will be cool to see how it performs in a real-world application.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm being called out! - LOL

I'll say this, at least this makes sense for a boat, blower and turbos on top. Read my old posts tried it on 7.3L but tnever got to finish it, but they have the right concpet now, that will work!

Again, I believe at that 800 Hp there is no different between those and a gas engine as far as engine life goes. You can't run lots of hours on that little cubic inches for any lenght of time.

So what do you have - a performance diesel that lasts 15 hr WOT and 250-400 hr cruise and gets 15-20% better fuel economy? The cheaper gas engines would probably offset the savings in fuel??? Remember, when you spin those high rpms you use lots of fuel to just turn the revs and you will start to loose the efficency of the diesel - just my 2 cents.

Are you happy now, I did my usuall, poked a few holes in it (maybe?) not too bad this time!

BUT, I don't understand your remark about bring torque down, to do that it has to make less Hp at same rpm's? Torque, Hp all just math you can't change one without changing the other two they are the 3 variables in the equation? I think you're saying he's making a diesel run like a gas engine with no inherent low rpm power - but then why have a diesel?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Well Joe I tried calling Mr. Banks today...no luck. If you can talk to someone in the Marine office at Banks maybe they can shed some light on the torque/rpm issue. I couldn't get through to them.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

frm www.banksmarine.com
Base Engine General Motors® Duramax 6600
Engine Displacement 403 in3 [6.6 L]
Number of Cylinders 8
Rated Speed 3500 rpm
Rated Power 350-550 hp [261-410 kW]
Fuel System Bosch common rail, direct injection
Engine Management Banks OttoMind®/Bosch EDC16
Aspiration Twin turbocharged, seawater after-cooled
Flywheel Housing SAE #3
Electrical System 12V
Cooling System Closed cooling, belt driven seawater pump
Exhaust System Water-cooled manifolds and risers
Turbochargers Water-cooled turbine housings
Lube Oil System Gear driven wet sump
Duty Cycle Various ratings available

Last edited by powerabout; 02-10-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powerabout
frm www.banksmarine.com
Base Engine General Motors® Duramax 6600
Engine Displacement 403 in3 [6.6 L]
Number of Cylinders 8
Rated Speed 3500 rpm
Rated Power 350-550 hp [261-410 kW]
Fuel System Bosch common rail, direct injection
Engine Management Banks OttoMind®/Bosch EDC16
Aspiration Twin turbocharged, seawater after-cooled
Flywheel Housing SAE #3
Electrical System 12V
Cooling System Closed cooling, belt driven seawater pump
Exhaust System Water-cooled manifolds and risers
Turbochargers Water-cooled turbine housings
Lube Oil System Gear driven wet sump
Duty Cycle Various ratings available
That looks like the older version, not the new one.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

it does, doesn't it, hot off their web
So they have an engine at the show but it doesnt exist on their web site, mmmmmmm?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

I think you're saying he's making a diesel run like a gas engine with no inherent low rpm power - but then why have a diesel?

900ftlbs just off idle is a pretty good number. With twins that will get a 40' V on plane in a hurry I would think.

Why have a diesel?

Longevity
Longer time between service
Fuel mileage

Banks should partner up with a boatbuilder and run a long-term test on this motor in a 25-28' boat.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I just lost a 15 minute rebuttal to your response so I'm pissed at OSO now!

You are fooling yourself if you think all those things will add up to much at all.

Please if anything I say is wrong someone jump in and correct me - this applies to ALL performance diesels and is not aimed at Banks.

To run higher than stock rpms you need stronger valve springs to stop chatter or float - agreed?

The Banks engine will run over 50% above stock rpms 5,800 - agreed?

It will need bigger springs.

The banks engine will run higher boost, much higher than the couple PSI a blown gas engine you see here on OSO runs - agreed?

The higher the boost the more pressure on the backside of the valve which takes away pressure form the springs - agreed?

A N/A engine does not have that they run vacum - agreed?

To compenstate for a lower net spring pressure you need to raise spring pressure again - agreed?

Turbo engines run very high exhaust backpressure between the head and the turbo charger - agreed? (don't insult me with waste gate crap, it's still very high)

The same principle applies to exhuats valves the net less spring pressure needs to be compenstated by stronger springs - agreed?

The diesels we talk about here for boat use for the most part are a "log" style exhaust with little to no runner length between the head and turbo - agreed?

That short length causes the exhaust waves to crash right into adjacent clyinders and help lift exhaust valves off their seats - agreed?

Again higher spring pressure to over come that - agreed?

So, in conclusion these engines will be like my hot rod diesels the race Seateks, the Isottas the Hyperbar 903" etc, etc where we call "replacing a cylinder head is part of normal mainteance". Yea, Buzzi and i came to odds about that after I told him he was smoking crack and that alone would destroy Seatek from being a commerically viable engine!

None of this is against banks, I love the idea, even like the duramax to a point but please do not think if you buy these all your problems are over.

one more thing will probably require the oil to be changed more often than a gas engine!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are your thoughts on the advantages of something like the audi race diesel over it's gas counterparts , Joe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.