Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ?? >

Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ??

Notices

Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ??

Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ??

Has anybody used this material for making a boat full cover?Its a pretty new material and has a felt/flock backing bonded to the bottom side.To me it seems to be soft,shallow nap,but is it soft enough not to scratch/chafe my new paint job.It will not see anything towing but in the slip it gets real windy some times.

What do all think?

Rob

material
http://www.trivantage.com/marine/fab...unsupreme.html
http://www.sunbrella.com/fabric_search.php?fs=pacific

researched
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...oat-cover.html

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 02-11-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years back I used a sunbrella material on my Cigarette cockpit cover. It was light weight, great color, I loved it ! I went to Key West, put it on at night, went to the boat the next day and it was getting hot ! The cover was tight as a drum ! It almost pulled the hardware right out of the boat ! I had to use pliers to get it off ! I never used it again ! They may have changed the material by now, just check that before you go thru what I did.....
Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use the Sunbrella Supreme on all the full covers and cockpit covers that need to stay waterproof. All the Liberator cats I sell are custom painted. The Supreme doesn't scratch and it is supposed to be completely waterproof. The regular Sunbrella will leak after a year or so. What good is that when you're trying to cover it to keep it dry. It costs a bit more, but well worth it.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by WILDMAN
I use the Sunbrella Supreme on all the full covers and cockpit covers that need to stay waterproof. All the Liberator cats I sell are custom painted. The Supreme doesn't scratch and it is supposed to be completely waterproof. The regular Sunbrella will leak after a year or so. What good is that when you're trying to cover it to keep it dry. It costs a bit more, but well worth it.

Thanks for the reply,thats good feed back, thanks
Rob

Old 02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Question

Hey anybody else using the new Sunbrella Supreme fabric on there painted boats?????

Here is a close up pick of the top side of the Supreme.

Im still wondering if I need to ad a softer material in the high chafe ares?

Thanks for any advice

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ??-parts-feb-009-large-.jpg  

Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

Here is the bottom side,its kinda a feels like a felt on a pool table,I tried getting close.
Attached Thumbnails Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ??-parts-feb-001-large-.jpg   Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ??-parts-feb-002-large-.jpg   Has anybody used the Sunbrella Supreme boat cover material ??-parts-feb-006-large-.jpg  

Old 05-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rob...what did you end up using?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

Originally Posted by boatman22
Rob...what did you end up using?
I am using the Sunbrella Supreme.so far it looks to be OK,the material is heavier makes it a little harder to handle,It seems stiffer like it has starch, prob the water repellent, the main thing is the thread on the seams, my guy put a extra piece of material on the seams and did a single stitch,so it doesn't have as much thread against the paint, It hasn't been long enough to test it on the paint, IF I need a softer material on the blue areas were the old cover chafed it.

the only other thing is its not breathable ,but I haven't seen any moisture under the cover.

sorry for not finishing the thread.

Rob

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I am using the Sunbrella Supreme.so far it looks to be OK,the material is heavier makes it a little harder to handle,It seems stiffer like it has starch, prob the water repellent, the main thing is the thread on the seams, my guy put a extra piece of material on the seams and did a single stitch,so it doesn't have as much thread against the paint, It hasn't been long enough to test it on the paint, IF I need a softer material on the blue areas were the old cover chafed it.

the only other thing is its not breathable ,but I haven't seen any moisture under the cover.

sorry for not finishing the thread.

Rob
I just ordered a cockpit cover from P&G using sunbrella supreme. I have high hopes as well. When you say you've found moisture ( and not to question your guys work), Is the cover vented correctly? I'd imagine venting would become a critical part when using such a waterproof material in a confined space like that.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Default Sunbrelkla Supreme

We used it to make a rear cratch cover for our narrowboat last year - it's on now for its first winter in a very exposed and rainy/snowy marina. It won't sew with a domestic machine - we just about managed the rear cover but it will not handle a front cover. The flock backing adhesive clogs needles quickly and the layers on seams are too thick. We will use it to make a front cover, but we have an industrial sewing machine to help.