Question on 496HO Whipple Dyno numbers >

Question on 496HO Whipple Dyno numbers

Notices

Question on 496HO Whipple Dyno numbers

Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on 496HO Whipple Dyno numbers

I was at whipples web site looking at the SC for the 496HO and i noticed that the Dyno sheet they have for this setup was using a 3.5 pulley and not the 4.5 or 5.0 that is available for order. Does anyone know which pulley as far as the 3.5, 4.5 or 5.0 would be best to run on this motor? Seems like the 3.5 makes lots of torque and HP but not sure what the other 2 pulleys produce or if you would even want to run them on the 496HO. Anyone have experience with this setup that can offer some advice or numbers for the other 2 pulley sizes that are not dynoed?

Seems like using the 3.5 which makes 650HP and over 700 FT Lbs of torque would be about all a sane person would hope to get out of a 496HO?

Is the 4.5 and 5.0 pulley just a suicide mission?

One other question, this is in a 28 ft cat that weighs about 5500lbs, any idea what prop i would need to go to? I have a labbed 24 now.

Last edited by DougSAZ; 02-16-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Do it once Right! Don't buy it twice!

If you try and make 650HP and 700ft/lbs of torque out of a stock block 496HO, the only thing you will have is a big basket of oily broken engine parts and a largely drained wallet, putting it back together!
We and others have built 650-800HP 496's with Whipples fine supercharger systems, you just have to build the engine with the proper internals and set up.
Don't worry about pulley sizes, just worry about how you can keep a proper high horsepower supercharged 496 in your deckboat running in that desert heat season in and season out.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar