Notices

volvo vs bravo

Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have Merc's NXT1?

http://www.cmdmarine.com/ftp/nxtflyer/NXT_flyer_lo.pdf

With 480Hp and 1200Nm torque this package should be a winner, IŽd rather get those that my D6's.

Looks good!

Last edited by Convertible; 02-19-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sinus
@SCOT BB;

MSA need service each 300 working hours (It mean oil change and nothing else), except bigg rubber pipe from transom seal kit which is from Mercruyser!

Two years ago I am have chance to test this drive:
Same boat typ with 2 steps, 4.200 pounds empty weight and with originall 496 HO engines.
- One boat with BravoX with 2 inch higher cavitation plate, bravo 1 prop.
- Second with MSA drive and maximus prop.
- Start by Bravo it was like each start. Bow up, brrrrr and slow acceleration
- with MSAit is like by dragster cars with out of any bow lift! It have speciall chanal for air which vented prop for better start.
- End speed with Bravo1X it was 69 mph.
- with MSA 79 mph until revolution blockade of engine. In my oppinion it is end speed of this combination round of 81-82 mph.!

Two days after test I am buy MSA drive and I do not care if it is first service 800 km from me. So what if have no troubles with it. It look bad yes, but who care, it is under water. And efficiency it is incredible better than by any Z drives.

MSA it is wonderfully drive if you need efficiency and it never blow out. This is surface drive with tunnel effect and you could use standard inox props like Bravo1 or Maximus.
Bigg diference in comparison with for example Arneson it is lot of trim effect and less chine walk of boat.
I do not know what meaning have this in USA, but it is reall quality maded Germany product.
When you install it, you do not need to take care round of X dimension like by Z drives. You only mount it like it is writen in papers and rest make trim.

p.s.
Sorry for my bad english, but I hope that you understand what I am want to tell.

bye
Saso
So, if it breaks I just ship it to England for service??

How many hours on yours?

I still saY VOLVO man, install, never look back...
Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Registered

o.k. Scott B, good questions.

- it is strong maded, but if you destroyed it you have troubles for sure. I am only want to tell you, that this drive do not have so much sensitive parts like Z drives and you do not need to bring it on service every year.
- onestly have our 0 hours. We buy it for prototype boat, which will go on the water at the end of april. Until july it will have at least 250 heavy hours and than I will correctly report our experiences.
- in autumn we will start to build first two serially maded prototypes and at least one of this will probably have Arneson drive. In the summer 2011 we will finish with all needed tests and probably recive CE papers for boat. When we do this we start with exhibitions there round, mostly in Mediteranian countries and same time I will have rights to send fotos on this forum and made good report round of compare, together with "compare race" wideos maded from the air.

bye
Saso
Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Volvo DPR and ASD7M is about the same price. Both with gearboxes, trimpumps etc. Even the cost for the propellers is about the same. You need two of them on the DPR.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Registered

I have twin Volvo D6 370 in my Wellcraft Excalibur 38 with DPH drives and the boat only goes 44knots, Wellcraft says that the boat will run 47,2knots with Merc. 454 MPI's/bravo III.

Volvo says that those DPH drives are good for 45 knots and the DPR continues from that, what do you think could it be that those DPH drives are dragging so it wont go any faster?

I' tested several props from size 6 to 10. Size 6 was way too small it run 42 and went to revlimiter. Size 10 also run 42, but didint rev enough, it went 40knots with 2800rpm

Now have size 8 and it runs 44knots and is reving in the range, but wont go any faster. Boat has no problems getting to plane with any of those props.

Well the queston is that, can I update my drives to DPR by changeing the lower part of the drive? The upper part looks the same.

DPR

DPH
Old 03-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Convertible
...Wellcraft says that the boat will run 47,2knots with Merc. 454 MPI's/bravo III.
In general, if you can run within 10% of what the manufacturer claims, you're doing just fine.

Originally Posted by Convertible
Volvo says that those DPH drives are good for 45 knots and the DPR continues from that, what do you think could it be that those DPH drives are dragging so it wont go any faster? ...Well the question is that, can I update my drives to DPR by changeing the lower part of the drive? The upper part looks the same.
Yes, but it's probably not worth the money. Formula markets its 400SS with the same package (370/DPH), and it runs just over 50 mph (44 knots). If there was a compelling reason to go with the DPR lower unit, I think that they would have done it. It would be an interesting test, as it appears that the DPR has a higher propshaft.

Last edited by C_Spray; 03-16-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
In general, if you can run within 10% of what the manufacturer claims, you're doing just fine.

Yes, but it's probably not worth the money. Formula markets its 400SS with the same package (370/DPH), and it runs just over 50 mph (44 knots). If there was a compelling reason to go with the DPR lower unit, I think that they would have done it. It would be an interesting test, as it appears that the DPR has a higher propshaft.
Thanks,

I found this at

http://www.boattest.com/Partners/Par...400#TestResult

They only got that formula 400ss to go 41knots in that test.

Yep, I'm a bit tempted to get these in to my engines

http://www.chipexpress.com/diesel-tu...-kit-1694.html

But dont know if its woth the hassle. My engines are new, only 35hours. Cruise at 3000rpm 40knots max revs 3450rpm.

Last edited by Convertible; 03-17-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Registered

Default merc trans 2

were can i find a used merc trans 2 517-256-1789
Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 AM

Job Security

Go with the Volvo drives..... I can charge more money to fix em than the Bravos
Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Go with the Volvo drives..... I can charge more money to fix em than the Bravos
But you will still make less, because they dont need to be FIXED near as often

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.