Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic >

FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic

Notices

FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic

Old 04-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Tourist

Default FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic

I'm looking for input from anyone that has used a Hummer to tow. I don't really have use for a truck in the conventional sort of means other than to tow the boat about 45 miles back and forth to New Buffalo, MI to put it in Lake Michigan. It is mostly highway driving. I don't want to spend the money on a NEW dually if I can help it due in part to the depreciation. I found a 95 Hummer for $35,000. and doubt it will lose much value over the next few years. It has a 6.5 Dsl and tow package. Has anyone used one to pull their boat and what was good/bad about it. I'm sure it will pull the weigth I just don't know how well they handle. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jerry- Total Chaos

Old 04-22-2002, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Hummer, they ride a little ruff. But they are just cool. Once you get it you may end up using it more than you think, four wheeling? and driving in the snow.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

the Hummer goes through a lot of brakes just on its own, so I can only say it will go through them quicker when towing.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading a while back that the Hummer tow rating was not as good as you would think. I would look it up and see why.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by cigarette1
I remember reading a while back that the Hummer tow rating was not as good as you would think. I would look it up and see why.
I agree with Cigarette1. I think that your boat (I'm guessing would weigh in close to or over 10,000#'s--with trailer) would be a little heavy for the Hummer. I have used these machins alot while in the Marines, and they don't nessesary tow great (short wheelbase)They aren't really built for towing. Those muthers will go through, over, and under anything you want to. You aren't going very far, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck
Old 04-22-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

Yeah, I looked at the hummers at this year's auto show. I can't remember what it was, but it had a whimpy tow rating for such a tough looking and pricy vehicle.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 2,950 Likes on 978 Posts

When I was in Miami last April, there was a guy there that pulled his 47 outerlimits all the way from South Carolina down with a Hummer! He said it did fine, no probs. Then again he wasn't to worried about cash......He was busted for sales and is now serving 10 years I heard.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Tourist

This one has a tongue weight of 1200# and tow 10K#. The boat wet is probably tops 9500#(Guessing)

Old 04-22-2002, 04:22 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i heard hummers kind of suck to tow with.

A little birdytold me its was super whimpy towing a 3700 AO. And lets just say he tows ALOT of AOs.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:36 PM
Registered

We’ve got an older Hummer (2 door) and pulled several boats and trailers. It handles the trailers great but as others have said it is one rough ridding and loud tow truck. If I remember correctly the tow rating is just above 10,000#. Helps if you’re a flat belly too, my 280lbs of fat don’t slide in and out real smooth.

I backed in one time till water was running in the doors. Got out asked everyone looking at me “… if that’s about how far I should back in, I’d never loaded a boat before?” Got a good laugh from them all.

Last edited by D_Casten; 04-22-2002 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.