Notices

Info On Scarab Sprint

Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info On Scarab Sprint

Hello! I am interested in purchasing a Scarab Sprint but I don't know alot about them and I'm having a hard time finding any decent info on them. I know you can get them in a 4cyl or V6 but that's about it. Does anyone have any info on these boats?? I would love to get my hands on one.

Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There has been a couple for sale in the Chicago boat section of craigslist. Dont know anything about them. Just thought they looked pretty cool.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered

ya i've been looking everywhere...found a couple nice ones.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I never heard of a Scarab Sprint. I would love some details. Is it something new? Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Registered

No they are not new and i'm pretty sure wellcraft doesn't make them anymore. A lot of the ones i find are from the mid to late 90's. It looks like these boats are between 19 and 21' and come with either a 4 or 6 cyl mercruiser engine. They look just like a mini version of the big boys. I just can't find a lot of them for sale....otherwise i'd pick one up right now.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 AM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were made in I/O and Jet configurations. The jets were Volvo powered. The motor box took up alot of space so there is very little interior room. If you find one, check the stringers, transom and floor..........Wellcraft just slapped these things together back in the day.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

yea i looked I saw the interior pictures of one on ebay and there was hardly any room at all!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMC
They were made in I/O and Jet configurations. The jets were Volvo powered. The motor box took up alot of space so there is very little interior room. If you find one, check the stringers, transom and floor..........Wellcraft just slapped these things together back in the day.
You couldn't be more correct...this is when Wellcraft let their name fall to $hit...there was a lot of pressure to cut costs to get market share...some companies cut materials...some cut labor...some cut both. Not many held a hardline on quality...the Sprint was a boat I would probably stay clear of...there's a lot better places to put some money. I was actually surprised they pimped the name onto the Sprint. Wellcraft really let the designs go to hell in a hand bag for the most part, especially on any boats that were 26' or under. The Excels were the last of the halfway decent looking smaller Scarabs.

Had the executives at Wellcraft had any clue of what they were doing Scarab may still be a viable brand today. Larry Smith was certainly cringing everytime they brought out a new boat and put his beloved brand name on the side of it.

A lot of companies took a beating in this time period...people just weren't thinking too clearly.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MrOffshore
You couldn't be more correct...this is when Wellcraft let their name fall to $hit...there was a lot of pressure to cut costs to get market share...some companies cut materials...some cut labor...some cut both. Not many held a hardline on quality...the Sprint was a boat I would probably stay clear of...there's a lot better places to put some money. I was actually surprised they pimped the name onto the Sprint. Wellcraft really let the designs go to hell in a hand bag for the most part, especially on any boats that were 26' or under. The Excels were the last of the halfway decent looking smaller Scarabs.

Had the executives at Wellcraft had any clue of what they were doing Scarab may still be a viable brand today. Larry Smith was certainly cringing everytime they brought out a new boat and put his beloved brand name on the side of it.

A lot of companies took a beating in this time period...people just weren't thinking too clearly.
Wow, you are obviously very educated and knowlegable in this area. I never heard of a Sprint. It's a shame that sometimes good companies stoop low, but you never know. When business is bad, there are a bunch of people with suits on, making a bunch of money, and sometimes they come up with bad stuff. ( And sometimes they come up with good stuff )
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered

if your interested in one we have one at the shop right now thats getting a valve job its got the 4cyl. merc. the guy wants $3,000 for it i cant remember the year but i think its a 97 or 98 i know its got a alpha gen 2 with drive shower and a torque shift prop no trailer though. its a clean boat no scratches or scrapes interior is excellent always kept on boat lift its at lake of the ozarks. if interested i can get his number and pics let me know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.