Question about cost of running twins >

Question about cost of running twins

Notices

Question about cost of running twins

Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about cost of running twins

I am considering buying a 1991 wellcraft nova spyder with twin big blocks, vers twin small blocks. Boat is 26ft Any sugestions on which is beter purchase, I like the sound of big blocks, but concerned about fuel costs. Is big blocks to much weight for a small boat like that, or should i consider the same boat with small blocks?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Big Blocks depending on modifications and, BB's maybe better on fuel in that they wont work as hard to keep the boat on plane and going. They have the torque needed. Small block just work harder in essence.
-Mike
Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go big blocks

go big blocks if only because it is a more popular motor compaired to small blocks.the old say rings true here...there no replacement for cubic displacement.if you are worried about gas consuption,you should,nt.its the cheapest part of boating.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
Big Blocks depending on modifications and, BB's maybe better on fuel in that they wont work as hard to keep the boat on plane and going. They have the torque needed. Small block just work harder in essence.
-Mike
Exactly my experience. My old 260 Scorpion had 260's in it and it didnt get any better mpg then my 34 ScarabIII. At least none to speak of. I tracked fuel used versus miles on a yearly basis with gps and all in all the small blocks didnt use any less fuel. Now in defense i ran the Scorp pretty hard to keep up with my group. It would run fifty all day long but in order to do it i was turning 4K and well into the secondaries.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-26-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I will disagree here. That boat is too small for twin big blocks. Balance will not be right, gas hogs and they run plenty fast with twin small blocks or even twin v-6. It is a family cruiser boat. Personally for that style hull I would look for twin V-6 package. Much better on gas, lighter and plenty fast for a family boat. If you want a fast boat, start with a fast hull. Common mistake is people take a cruiser hull and throw a ton of power at it trying to go fast. Waste of money. Running small blocks WOT will burn gas if you insist on running with the big dogs in the fast boats. If you want to run 70 mph start with a Wellcraft Scarab hull that run very hard with twin small blocks in the 28 or 29 foot range. Most go-fast manufactures do not install twin big blocks in boats smaller than 28'.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 02-26-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I will disagree here. That boat is too small for twin big blocks. Balance will not be right, gas hogs and they run plenty fast with twin small blocks or even twin v-6. It is a family cruiser boat. Personally for that style hull I would look for twin V-6 package. Much better on gas, lighter and plenty fast for a family boat. If you want a fast boat, start with a fast hull. Common mistake is people take a cruiser hull and throw a ton of power at it trying to go fast. Waste of money. Running small blocks WOT will burn gas if you insist on running with the big dogs in the fast boats. If you want to run 70 mph start with a Wellcraft Scarab hull that run very hard with twin small blocks in the 28 or 29 foot range. Most go-fast manufactures do not install twin big blocks in boats smaller than 28'.

I would hardly call the 26' nova hull a cruiser, but that's just my opinion...
Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 350's in a 27 Fountain, put 600 hours on it with out any problems. They were real easy on fuel, but as bcfountian said " gas is the cheapest part of boating."
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

A 26' boat is too small for Big Blocks.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
A 26' boat is too small for Big Blocks.
I agree.

My last boat was a 24/7 with single 502. Now have a 28ft boat with twin 502's. The increase in fuel consumption was not that bad if any. Not enough to break the bank. I was suprised. Of course the consumption will be much worse if you drive around at WOT. I drive around at 40-60mph.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't want that boat. It's gonna be too ass-heavy with the big girls in the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.