Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need An Immediate Answer Please!!! >

Need An Immediate Answer Please!!!

Notices

Need An Immediate Answer Please!!!

Old 04-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need An Immediate Answer Please!!!

my buddy ( new boat owner!!) is at the store right now to buy batteries for the boat. I told him a top of the line deep discharge would be the best, he's buying two.....

I have two 1000 cca deeps in mine.

the store has a 105 amp hr, 750 marine cranking amp deep cycle battery. is that decent.

what is the cranking amp requirements for a 454 330hp.

what about buying one starter bat, one deep discharge. is it worth the trouble of switching back and fourth

He has a fridge and radio etc. I told him he will need at least one deep cycle battery if he want to use the fridge.

please reply

thanks
Old 04-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rambunctious

I have an Interstate Battery wholesale outlet near me that gave me some "education" on marine batteries. I had always used marine deep cycle batteries for everything, including starting. I learned that was not the best way to go. You are correct in stating that he needs at least one deep cycle battery for his ammenities, but he needs a cranking battery for the motor. 750cca would be enough for the 454, but 850 does me really well.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

they will probably work fine . I like big ones myself but I have been on boats with 625 amps . Go to walmart and get the 1000's They are like $50 !!Good luck !
Old 04-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not know how his boat is set up. The starting battery need to be a regular battery bigger the better. I would then make the house (lights & refrig) battery the deep cycle kind. Only problem with this is how boat is set up. If refrig is on starting battery I would make both batteries large starting batterys go with 5 year warranty & take back @ second year & get new ones.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

750 cranking amps will be fine for a 454. I like on deep cycle for my ammenities and one cranking for my motors. He will be set.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

West Marine has a great article on just this type of set up. I will try to post the link here. Your buddy can always call West Marine as well. They recommend two different type batteries. One starting battery and one deep cycle.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/com...tm&store_num=9[/URL]
Old 04-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Default Thumbs up for Optima!

With all that said, one red top and one yellow top- or i guess a blue top is the marine version of the red top. The red top has a better warranty though- somehow the battery guys like those 2 yr deals for marine batteries.

I think the optima has a few competitors now- the spiral wrapped gel batteries are a superior construction method and they don't emit corrosive gases in your bilge.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks all.

he is going with one of each type. getting a good deep cycle (105 amphrs) to run the fridge and 850 mca for starting.

We both work for Johnsoncontrols who make the Optima batterys in our battery division ( we work in automotive interiors) I think we can get a discount, but he wants batteries today. So off to Walmart.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Registered

Default optimas available locally!

Ram, Where I live (Podunk AR) the auto electric shops all stock large quantities of optimas, within $5 of the cheapest mail order houses- your friend may have the same luck if he checks the yellow pages.

Also, JC has an office up the road (Walmart HQ is 15 miles away) and they are always big sponsors for our Jeep club's Roctoberfest raffle- proceeds go to charity. Thanks to JC for their support!