Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Turbine Question (Not about Longevity compared to huge CID blower motors) >

Another Turbine Question (Not about Longevity compared to huge CID blower motors)

Notices

Another Turbine Question (Not about Longevity compared to huge CID blower motors)

Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Another Turbine Question (Not about Longevity compared to huge CID blower motors)

Like most on this website I have never actually been around a turbine boat. Only watched YouTube videos.

I do notice though that noone ever has ear protection on - The sound on the videos always sounds like it would be unbearable after a couple minutes, but what is it like in person? Do the video cameras exasserbate the sound or pick up the worst frequencies?

Do you think over the long haul that kind of noise is more or less harmful than regular unmuffled engine noise that the majority of us are exposed to?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Like most on this website I have never actually been around a turbine boat. Only watched YouTube videos.

I do notice though that noone ever has ear protection on - The sound on the videos always sounds like it would be unbearable after a couple minutes, but what is it like in person? Do the video cameras exasserbate the sound or pick up the worst frequencies?

Do you think over the long haul that kind of noise is more or less harmful than regular unmuffled engine noise that the majority of us are exposed to?
As someone that made the transition from Big chief PSI 557,s
to Turbines. Turbines are a totally different sound. Very high pitched. Long rides will where you down without ear protection.
Piston engines are without a doubt louder up close aswell
as from a distance.

Videos will not record the frequency of the 26000 rpm turbine.
I would guess that the decibels created by a big block would
be physically worse.

Wearing ear protection takes the edge off the people on-board
telling you to slow down aswell.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think headphones would be almost necessary on a turbine boat...
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
As someone that made the transition from Big chief PSI 557,s
to Turbines. Turbines are a totally different sound. Very high pitched. Long rides will where you down without ear protection.
Piston engines are without a doubt louder up close aswell
as from a distance.

Videos will not record the frequency of the 26000 rpm turbine.
I would guess that the decibels created by a big block would
be physically worse.

Wearing ear protection takes the edge off the people on-board
telling you to slow down aswell.
Just seems like that high pitch whine would leave you with a ringing in your ears after a while - the kind of ringing that would never go away.....
Old 01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy

wheres JBS Jeff at ?????
Old 01-21-2011, 05:06 PM
JBS
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbine noise

Wearing ear protection around any engine is preferable if you are concearned about hearing loss over longtearm exposure.
Turbines are deafening when standing anywhere near them.They dont sound loud while running-you realy are hearing the props violating the water.
The turbine noise inside the boat (with a helmet on) is non-existant and very tollerable without any hearing protection.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the damaging noise from a turbine you dont hear use to run them in test cells were told to always wear head sets or ear protection had my ears tested and i have trouble with high pitch sounds not hearing them from the turbins ran them for about ten years
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah - I guess what I was really getting at was given the same amount of pleasure boating each year is that turbine whine worse for your ears than a couple big blocks.....

JBS - I was really wondering about open cockpit pleasure boats. I've just never been around one (and probably will never have the opportunity to be) so I was just curious....
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Both my AME and the regional flight surgeon have warned me about the hearing damage that will occur if no attempt is made to protect the ears near an operating turbine engine or especially when flying. I imagine it would be the same for a turbine powered boat. It's the sounds not detected by the human ear that apparently do the damage. I guess that's why most of the old high time guys I know who didn't wear any ear protection throughout the years all wear hearing aids now.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Registered

i`cant hear a word you're sayin............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.