Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1350 horse and NO Superchargers!!!!!!!!!!! >

1350 horse and NO Superchargers!!!!!!!!!!!

Notices

1350 horse and NO Superchargers!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by msm
Direct quote from Fred Kiekhaefer "...designed and developed in house..." from video of the 1350's grand unveiling at the Miami Boatshow and posted on the Mercury Racing website. He says that at about the 4:25 point in the video.

I wonder how long 'til we get some first hand driving impressions?
MSM has it exactly right. I wrote the stories on the engine for Smokin' and Powerboat magazines, as well as the initial story for speedonthewater.com. I spoke at length with Fred Kiekhaefer and the lead project engineeer, Erik Christiansen—and I mean at length. They repeatedly told me the entire engine was, "designed and developed by and at Mercury Racing."

In the 15 years I've known him, Fred, he has never been anything but honest, at times bluntly honest, with me. I have no reason to suspect he'd do that now because although the 1300/1350 is a big release for Mercury Racing, it is by no means the company's first big release.

Believe who you want. My money is on Fred.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink How De Do IT?

At this point I would have to agree with Matt! No reason for Fred, Mercury or its people to deceive and misrepresent. They have always been for the most part truthful, honest and forthcoming.
I suspect also that this engine got a good thrashing by Mercury at their test site and time will show if the magic is in the engine!

The real qustion now is can enough big buck users step up to the cost of this beauty and as such, can Mercury keep it in production at small usage numbers?

As I have always said "Nothing is Impossible, It Just Costs More!!"

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This motor runs on pump gas and is warrantied for one year. Merc would not offer that if it was not completely confident in its work. Imagine with some boost and race gas the kind of power this will make. Rumor has it that this motor has made reliable horespower above 1700 with no breakage.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the May Powerboat. Excellent article with the men who made these motors happen.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msm
Direct quote from Fred Kiekhaefer "...designed and developed in house..." from video of the 1350's grand unveiling at the Miami Boatshow and posted on the Mercury Racing website. He says that at about the 4:25 point in the video.

I wonder how long 'til we get some first hand driving impressions?
They never mentioned Chevrolet!! We shall see when the first one goes to a outside shop. Just like Dart and Merlin was developed in house. My AMG connections say some different. Mercury is a great company but when you have there money nothing is out of reach.
Also why was the new Cigarette unveiled with a new Mercedes AMG