Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BobtheBuilder Offshore Bedtime Story #8 – "How to sink a Formula 419"  :) >

BobtheBuilder Offshore Bedtime Story #8 – "How to sink a Formula 419" :)

Notices

BobtheBuilder Offshore Bedtime Story #8 – "How to sink a Formula 419" :)

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wananewboat
What year did you graduate from the School of Hard Knocks?
He, he. Sorry , did not graduate just yet. Still willing to take some risks. Someday.....maybe.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Thanks everyone. When I had the current Nor Tech built I wanted them to install a thru hull sonar and Terry reminded me that every time you drill a hole in the hull it is a potential problem down the road. Good advise. I settled for the type that can "see" thru the hull and it works great.

Bob
what model
Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another good story. lessons learned make you a better equipped boater. you fellows looked cold in florida during that funrun. i hope they didn't blame you for bring down that cold snap.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Bob thats a great story, if you make it to the Erie Islands this summer by all means lemmie know. I am out there often and would love to have a beer with ya.

This reminds me of a story of the sinking of my own 34 Scarab, hope ya dont mind if i share it in your thread here.

Couple years ago i did a four day weekend out at Put-in-Bay and Kellys Island over Memorial day. While out there a pretty good rain came through one one night and when that happens the rivers tend to spew out all kinds of debris lifted off the banks by rising water. Well anyway on my way back across the west end of the lake on Tuesday headed to my home port in Toledo i remember going over a few unavoidable hunks of who knows what but i didnt feel any hits so i thought i got lucky. I arrive back at my dock to find the high waters lifted off a large wood extension i had and it was no where to be found. No biggie i can build another but i did want to try and locate it so no one would hit it but i would not be able to get out and search till a few days later. I buttoned up the boat but i had some food and stuff left over from the weekend and decided to see how well the fridge would keep it so i plugged in my shore power and left everything on to see how that worked out. A few days later i got with my friend Jon (Lightning Jet) and went in search of my dock extension, found it pretty quickly on the bank down river an hauled 'er back. When i arrived at my boat i found the cabin was holding in a bunch of heat from the fridges heat exchanger so i decided screw the stuff i was trying to keep and unplugged everything as i normally do, i had a race that weekend and wasnt going to use the boat anyway. Gave the boat one last look over, checked my lines everything was good so i headed for Ocean City. Fast forward a couple days we had just got out of the race boat and were cleaning it when my phone rings. Its my buddy Jon and his words were "where are ya? You home yet?!" . . . . no why. . . . "Dude i just got a call from your dockmaster, your boat sank! . . . . " . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm four hundred miles away. . . . double . . . . . . Well at that point he posse's up the gang and heads to my marina and at this point we didnt know if it was down or was going down. When he got there it was literally inches from breaching the vents, motors under and water just about to the V birth. They went into action to save my boat and got a trash pump in it right away and it did come up so they were able to tow it to our lift and get it on the trailer for me. These guys are good friends, the best you could ever have. They even got the all the water out of my motors, plugs out and oiled everything down. Drained fluids and got a big jump on the clean up process for me. What had happened is i had a large stainless pitot tube mounted at the bottom of my transom and when i went over that debris it pulled out of a soft spot where it was mounted and left four quarter inch screw holes open to water. For the days i had my shore power on my bilge pump had no trouble keeping up but after i pulled the power leaving just the batteries it only lasted a few days. There was a guy across the river from my slip that noticed my boat going down and he initially alerted my dockmaster who then was able to network to my friend Jon and the crack extraction team . I actually had the boat back in service the following weekend after a long week of replacing electrical stuff and running fluids through it.

You know . . . in retrospect if i had decided to keep that bologna an cheese and stuff i probably wouldn't have sunk my boat. . . . . Now i cant be certain but i would venture to guess i am the only one on the planet to have ever uttered those words
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stories ... both of you I rember Daves quite well. It was a long ride home
Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Bob thats a great story, if you make it to the Erie Islands this summer by all means lemmie know. I am out there often and would love to have a beer with ya.

This reminds me of a story of the sinking of my own 34 Scarab, hope ya dont mind if i share it in your thread here.

Couple years ago i did a four day weekend out at Put-in-Bay and Kellys Island over Memorial day. While out there a pretty good rain came through one one night and when that happens the rivers tend to spew out all kinds of debris lifted off the banks by rising water. Well anyway on my way back across the west end of the lake on Tuesday headed to my home port in Toledo i remember going over a few unavoidable hunks of who knows what but i didnt feel any hits so i thought i got lucky. I arrive back at my dock to find the high waters lifted off a large wood extension i had and it was no where to be found. No biggie i can build another but i did want to try and locate it so no one would hit it but i would not be able to get out and search till a few days later. I buttoned up the boat but i had some food and stuff left over from the weekend and decided to see how well the fridge would keep it so i plugged in my shore power and left everything on to see how that worked out. A few days later i got with my friend Jon (Lightning Jet) and went in search of my dock extension, found it pretty quickly on the bank down river an hauled 'er back. When i arrived at my boat i found the cabin was holding in a bunch of heat from the fridges heat exchanger so i decided screw the stuff i was trying to keep and unplugged everything as i normally do, i had a race that weekend and wasnt going to use the boat anyway. Gave the boat one last look over, checked my lines everything was good so i headed for Ocean City. Fast forward a couple days we had just got out of the race boat and were cleaning it when my phone rings. Its my buddy Jon and his words were "where are ya? You home yet?!" . . . . no why. . . . "Dude i just got a call from your dockmaster, your boat sank! . . . . " . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm four hundred miles away. . . . double . . . . . . Well at that point he posse's up the gang and heads to my marina and at this point we didnt know if it was down or was going down. When he got there it was literally inches from breaching the vents, motors under and water just about to the V birth. They went into action to save my boat and got a trash pump in it right away and it did come up so they were able to tow it to our lift and get it on the trailer for me. These guys are good friends, the best you could ever have. They even got the all the water out of my motors, plugs out and oiled everything down. Drained fluids and got a big jump on the clean up process for me. What had happened is i had a large stainless pitot tube mounted at the bottom of my transom and when i went over that debris it pulled out of a soft spot where it was mounted and left four quarter inch screw holes open to water. For the days i had my shore power on my bilge pump had no trouble keeping up but after i pulled the power leaving just the batteries it only lasted a few days. There was a guy across the river from my slip that noticed my boat going down and he initially alerted my dockmaster who then was able to network to my friend Jon and the crack extraction team . I actually had the boat back in service the following weekend after a long week of replacing electrical stuff and running fluids through it.

You know . . . in retrospect if i had decided to keep that bologna an cheese and stuff i probably wouldn't have sunk my boat. . . . . Now i cant be certain but i would venture to guess i am the only one on the planet to have ever uttered those words
Thanks for that Dave. "IF" is a big word sometimes and I know exactly how you felt. You were fortunate to have friends that could jump in like that in your absence and also be able to recover from it so fast.

I usually go to PIB the weekend before Christmas in July and expect I will again this summer so I will be sure to contact you.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Great stories ... both of you I rember Daves quite well. It was a long ride home
OK, Dawn your next. Give us a story !! I heard you won a "skill testing contest" once. LOL
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wild
what model
I went thru my "build file" Randy and could not find the exact model. I do believe it was a Garmin transducer to be compatable with my plotter. I recall Nor Tech had some conversations with Garmin about it to make sure we got it right. Like I said, works great and can have it on a split screen as well.

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 03-11-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hoserhead
another good story. lessons learned make you a better equipped boater. you fellows looked cold in florida during that funrun. i hope they didn't blame you for bring down that cold snap.
Yes, cool enough that I wore a hockey jersey so I felt right at home. LOL By the time we got off the water in Naples it had warmed up nicely and some started peeling their clothes off .... but that's another story. LOL
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
OK, Dawn your next. Give us a story !! I heard you won a "skill testing contest" once. LOL

Hehe .... Someday I'll collect on the rest of my prize

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.