Notices

Supercharged Ilmors

Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonMangual
Thank you for the response...I know the Proline guys and they are only 20 minutes away from my house. I visited their shop and was pretty impressed, but they do not have any experience with supercharging Ilmors. I wanted to see if someone out there had done this and what the results were.
Boostpower will supercharge your Ilmor-
Or put their 800HP NA kit in it.

UD
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Boostpower will supercharge your Ilmor-
Or put their 800HP NA kit in it.

UD
not to the change the subject again..but.. BoostPower also has worked with Borla on some new mufler designs that have recently came out.. They look awesome.. Love the sound of those V-10's...800 hp is perfect..not to much..no blower..OK I'll take two in a semi stagged 38???????soon
Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the replies guys!!! I will call Alexi next week and talk to him about my setup. Thanks again!!!

Jonathan

Originally Posted by Jassman
not to the change the subject again..but.. BoostPower also has worked with Borla on some new mufler designs that have recently came out.. They look awesome.. Love the sound of those V-10's...800 hp is perfect..not to much..no blower..OK I'll take two in a semi stagged 38???????soon
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

Some of us learned a VERY TOUGH and HARD lesson that cost us a lot of money, but the lesson has been learned now! Who is your builder. I will from now on use someone who has been referred and has something to show. Thank you

Jonathan

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I traced your posts and read the guys letter he put up on the adrenaline website - and your response.

I Cant seem to find specifically what happened.

Obviously you bought a *****in boat and someone got paid, so its feeling like the guy fell short somewhere.

You seem to be taking a high road which is commendable.

Im super lucky I have an awesome relationship with my pet builder, Im almost family.

UD
Old 04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

Well Ive been reading this post and figured I would put my 2 cents in!!! I have the Skater with the very first Viper power from Ilmor. It has Mercury racing 6's with Huber 1200 tranmissions. I purchased the boat with a hurt engine, it spun and trashed 2 rod bearings, this was all that was wrong with it. I started the motor when I first purchased it and it was just knocking slightly. The boat had approximately 200 hrs on it total. I pulled the engine out of the boat and put a crank in it and 2 piston assemblies myself. These motors are very simple to work on and are pretty trick straight from Mopar. I talked with Eon Hawkins and the guys from Ilmor a lot when I was just fixing this motor. I did not rebuild it or freshen it. The other engine was in tip top shape. I ran the boat for 200 more hrs. After season 2008 I decided to upgrade the motors for more power. I talked to Ilmor and a couple other viper places. I had talked to Proline before when I first purchased the boat about doing the motors right off the bat, but I didnt want to spend the cash. I had made my mind up about having Proline do the motors. Both motors were running flawlessly when I pulled them out. Thats with over 400+ hrs!!! And that is beating the crap out of them. Proline went through the motors very thoroughly. We left the bottom ends alone, obviously we put all new bearings and file fit rings, balanced rotating assemblies, and so on. The heads were sent off to be ported and polished along with the intake. We had custom cams ground to Proline Specs. We replaced all the valves, guides, locks, retainers, etc with bad ass stuff. I didnt want a problem with the valve train for future blown applications, Ill get to that in the end. The motors came together flawlessly. We encountered a couple hick-ups but nothing major. Proline said the motors looked excellent when I brought them. I thrashed putting the motors back in the boat to make our Poker Run. I had Eric from Injected Engineering come to my place and tune the motors on the lake with Wide-band sensors and data-logging. I tuned the motors thru the factory computers with SCT Tuners. The programming is great and simple. We had the boat performing excellent in about 5hrs. I still have some tuning to do to squeeze a little more out of them. I left it a little rich because I like to hold it wide open for hrs!! I have put about 60 more hrs on it since the motor rebuild with Proline and havent had an issue yet. They run super strong and sound way different than the original 550's!! Its been 132 with a borrowed set of Herrings and good conditions, air temp 82, water 8" chop, in to the wind. I have found that the boat is 5-6 mph faster in to the wind than running with it. But that is what Cats like. I have talked a lot with Peter and Chris with Skater about set-up, I hope to make the boat run in the 140's with the power like it is now. That will be with perfect conditions!! I am very happy with the Viper power plant and Ilmor. The guys at Ilmor are awesome and very helpful. I have had hr long conversations with them and they didnt mind at all. Now my new itch is to put some kind of power adder. I cannot run the Paxton blower because the firewall is too close to the front of the engine, the paxton is a reverse rotation blower and the body sits toward the front because of the car application. I was looking for some prochargers to use and do all of the plumbing, and mounting myself. I would rather run a 5 liter Whipple!! I am trying to get this started but, I dont have the funds right now to spend on a bunch of R&D. I took the boat to Skater last year also and had a bunch of stuff done. So any extra hush money for the boat was spent last season on boat and motors!!! lol I would like and am still trying to have the fasted Viper powered Boat period. I am shooting for 160mph. Thats obviously with a blown application. I would like to know how fast other cats with vipers have been.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting re-build story; thanks for sharing. Do you have any idea how much power your engines are making now? Based on your speeds, it sounds like upper 600's?

The fastest Ilmor boat that I know of is the 28' Eliminator with 725/Indy packages: 156 mph.

You will always be at a disadvantage with the Huber/#6 packages, as they consume more power that Ilmor's setup. Ilmor offers the Indy drive/transmission to Ilmor-powered boats as a retrofit. You might be able to sell your stuff for enough $$ to pay for the upgrade.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

M1000,

Thanks for sharing! How much HP do your Proline modified engines make, I didn't see that posted anywhere?

+1 on Ian & the entire gang at Ilmor. Nothing short of 1st class!

My Skater 30 w/ Ilmor Gen3 710's (700hp) ran 137mph w/ the previous owner, I've seen 135, w/ slightly smaller Hering 5 blades than the original owner ran.

You can ask IlmorDude but I'm pretty sure it's going to take 160mph to be the fastest Ilmor Cat b/c Eliminator built a 28 w/ twin 725's & Indy drives that I heard was in the 150's pretty easily first time or two out!

Nevertheless what you've done to date is impressive as it is.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged Ilmors-garmin-182c-trip.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

We saw the Illmor plant on some Boat show last night that the wife had Tivo'd. Looked 1st class all the way! Right down the the blue shirts. GOOD work guys. O and the SOUND of the V 10s O yea.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
We saw the Illmor plant on some Boat show last night that the wife had Tivo'd. Looked 1st class all the way! Right down the the blue shirts. GOOD work guys. O and the SOUND of the V 10s O yea.
We were all DYING to see that show, but no one could find it. Can you post the video somewhere?

ILMORDude - Take note....
Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't get the station it aired on either. $150/mo internet/cable bill & still don't have all the channels, WTF??