Notices

cheap, older cat?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap, older cat?

anyone have any suggestions on a late 80's or early 90's cat thats at least 24' long, preferably a single, that would work well as a lake pleasureboat?

i really could care less if its off shore worthy, nor do i care if it goes faster than 65mph if that..

would I *would* like is something that looks pretty cool - is not dangerous, and can normally be found for under $20k.

there was a wellcraft cat for sale down in florida for the longest time that was probably the epitome of what i am after, but it looked like it was a little too rough for my fairly non mechanical hands - and i really would prefer a single rather than twins. i loved the center helm station and the fact that it had some cabin room..

a chris cat, or an aronow cat would be along the lines of what i would like to find - but i dont think either of those is going to be found for under $20k - at least not in any type of running shape.

i realize that i'm sort of shooting in the dark here - but thought some of you might know of a few things i could at least start out with...

thanks for having me here - and stay safe..
Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by doctor_x
anyone have any suggestions on a late 80's or early 90's cat thats at least 24' long, preferably a single, that would work well as a lake pleasureboat?

i really could care less if its off shore worthy, nor do i care if it goes faster than 65mph if that..

would I *would* like is something that looks pretty cool - is not dangerous, and can normally be found for under $20k.

there was a wellcraft cat for sale down in florida for the longest time that was probably the epitome of what i am after, but it looked like it was a little too rough for my fairly non mechanical hands - and i really would prefer a single rather than twins. i loved the center helm station and the fact that it had some cabin room..

a chris cat, or an aronow cat would be along the lines of what i would like to find - but i dont think either of those is going to be found for under $20k - at least not in any type of running shape.

i realize that i'm sort of shooting in the dark here - but thought some of you might know of a few things i could at least start out with...

thanks for having me here - and stay safe..
You might try looking for a 26' American Offshore, 26' Firehawk, or 25' Eliminator. Where are you located?

Here is a 26' AO but its out of your price range. Maybe you can buy it less power and drop a new 496 into it.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/1616011948.html

off brand but cheap http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/1638476207.html

Old 03-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Do you realize that cat insurance will probably be triple the cost of a V bottom???? For what you descibe as your wants, I would get a V.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thunder Boats, which if I remember correctly, had some connection to Active Thunder, built what you are describing back in the late '80s / early '90s. There is a memeber on here (name escapes me) that is doing one over. Nice looking boat with big single I/O power. Try a search for "Thunder Cat" or similar.
Matt
Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered

insurance isnt much of an issue.. i will be paying cash for whatever i purchase.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old Cat under 20K be careful a lot of Plyrot used in those old boats.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Registered

thanks for the warning steve.. from what its looking like im going to end up with a senza specter, carrera cyclone, or a glastron 19 or 28 CSS..

looks like cats in my price range just arent really going to make sense.. unfortunate..
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fobes
Thunder Boats, which if I remember correctly, had some connection to Active Thunder, built what you are describing back in the late '80s / early '90s. There is a memeber on here (name escapes me) that is doing one over. Nice looking boat with big single I/O power. Try a search for "Thunder Cat" or similar.
Matt
There were only about seven Thunderboat 24' cats made and the guys that still have them cherish them like the holy grail. Four of the seven were set with twin or trip OBs. Most likely a boat in that price range would need to have room for a large toolbox
Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

I sold a guy a 24'Thundboat down in Miami. He just went through the whole boat and it came out awesome. He rigged it with twin 300 pms He wants like $30k
Old 03-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by apache727
I sold a guy a 24'Thundboat down in Miami. He just went through the whole boat and it came out awesome. He rigged it with twin 300 pms He wants like $30k
Cat or Vee?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.