Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OK..Whats next in outdrives after Bravo1 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226436-ok-whats-next-outdrives-after-bravo1.html)

Griff 03-16-2010 12:20 PM

With 800hp you are going to need more than a standard XR.

hotlavey 03-16-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3068534)
With 800hp you are going to need more than a standard XR.

I have an HP500, 3.3 Whipple, AFR heads, and a XZ with an IMCO shortie drive that has lasted for 3+ seasons. I assume I am close to or a little over 800hp as my 2750 Lavey runs a tick under 100gps on fresh water. If you drive your boat with a little care your drive will last- an XR is much stronger then a XZ.

Rik 03-16-2010 02:26 PM

Arnesons. When you get tired of breaking things and paying the piper give me a call. Speed increase with reliability what more can one ask for.

CB-BLR 03-16-2010 02:32 PM

IMCO SCX drive.

Possibly with a SC lower depending on application.

Much stronger than a Bravo or XR, and will bolt up in place of a X or XR with just a helmet change.

Chris

russellhorn 03-16-2010 03:26 PM

Anyone running the IMCO SC drive? Looks like XR internals with heavier housing and bearings. You wouldnt need to change out the helmet and can keep your digital trim and captains call exhaust.

Back4More 03-16-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 3068599)
Arnesons. When you get tired of breaking things and paying the piper give me a call. Speed increase with reliability what more can one ask for.

Did you get my PM?

kvschoolboard 03-16-2010 04:35 PM

get a drive with a tranny, a wet sump 6 would be a great reliable drive.

x7734x 03-16-2010 04:38 PM

Max Machine Works out of Lake Havasu makes a killer drive (bravo style) that has been proven at over 800hp.

fireboatpilot 03-16-2010 04:47 PM

Go with the Imco's. Is the Konrad available without using a trans? How much your willing to spend has alot to do with it and how much work are you willing to do as well. Some of these suggestions will require the use of transmissions and moving the engines forward to accomadate them. There's also the added expence of purchasing trans and fabbing mounts etc. I'd say that the Imcos are one step stronger than the XR's before getting into hugh dollars. I'm making a little over 700hp and just don't hammer it out of the hole which won't work anyway because it will just smoke the props. Have to watch the re-entry rpm's too. Just my 2cts worth.

Scarab Billy 03-16-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot (Post 3068692)
Go with the Imco's. Is the Konrad available without using a trans? How much your willing to spend has alot to do with it and how much work are you willing to do as well. Some of these suggestions will require the use of transmissions and moving the engines forward to accomadate them. There's also the added expence of purchasing trans and fabbing mounts etc. I'd say that the Imcos are one step stronger than the XR's before getting into hugh dollars. I'm making a little over 700hp and just don't hammer it out of the hole which won't work anyway because it will just smoke the props. Have to watch the re-entry rpm's too. Just my 2cts worth.

Imco sounds like a good way to try. I think they even advertise on OSO? I have emailed Arneson, and Konrad but I don't know much about either of them. I am just looking for a combination that will work. I have gotten used to being easy on the Bravo of the last year or so and it's done a good job, but I know whats comin now that the engine is done. At least I only have to buy 1 :coolcowboy: