Notices

Exhaust Gas Temp Guage

Old 04-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Exhaust Gas Temp Guage

How many of you guys run one and what is the max temperature you feel safe with? I run a duel digital unit and back off when it hits 1400 degrees. What cylinders do you have your probes in? Mine are in #6.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

No one runs a EGT???
Old 04-21-2002, 04:22 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you rig up the sensors if you have CMI? Doy ou have to put a hole in them and weld the sensor in place?
Old 04-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Registered

What I did was look at a head cut away that Jim V. has and found that if you keep it within 1/16 to 3/32 away from the exhaust head to header flange you can drill the head without getting into the water jacket. So that is where my thermocouples are mounted in #6 cylinder exhaust port.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:31 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

hmm how big are the sensors? I'm not to sure hwo i feel abotu drilling into the heads. I was thinkgin of mayeb gettgn some kind of spacer that would go between the head and the header. That. coudl be drill though easily. and mount eth sensor. I figure even if it was 1/2" thick the headers woudl still fit properly. I konw eddie marienb sells similar spacer so you can use 454 chevy headers on 460 ford engine. I figure soemthign similar but just a straight spacer with bung in it.

How accurate are those things? I think monitoring the exhaust temp would be pretty valuable assuming teh sensor was accurate.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:30 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

I have one on my motor on cylinder # 1. In my opinion it is about the most important guage I have. I am constantly staring at it. Under 7 psi boost I see around 1100-1200 degrees.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

Cool

But what is the maximum temp you feel comfortable with?
Old 04-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Registered

Default Whipple system has one!

I've got one on my 454 mag EFI compliments of Dustin. This was one of the significant technical reasons i went with his system vs others. It's tied into an idiot light and the computer etc. I suspect most of the efi systems use it.

It mounts in the merc manifold at #1, I can't remember if 1350 or 1400 triggers it. Happy to have it, any blower or performance motor should have one. I've got one on my cummins too. Both use 1/4" pipe thread if i remember right.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a good topic that got a lot of good response a while back .
I have them on my engines on #1 & #8 cylinders on both motors .They are in a 1" spacer between the head and exhaust manifold . MOst boats would not have the room for these spacers. Mine does .
I was told that the sensor being this close to the cylinder gives false high readings as it is being burnt by flaming exhaust gasses comeing out of the head . I am told that the ideal place for the sensor would be about 3-4" into the exhaust tube of the header . That would be hard to do with water jacketed headers . So we do the best we can . I don't have a lot of experience with mine yet but it runs 900-1200 most of the time . It gets up around 1400- 1500 running harder . I think it is too hot at that but they say it is because of where it is mounted . They say if it was where it should be ,the temps would be a few hundred less .
Old 06-30-2007, 08:11 AM

Default o2 sensors in marine manifolds.

Wheve can supply stainless one piece hi performance manifolds in all configurations Ford Chev etc with o2 sensors in the correct position to give correct readings.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Gas Temp Guage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.