found a pair of gas turbines!!!! >

found a pair of gas turbines!!!!

Notices

found a pair of gas turbines!!!!

Old 04-21-2002, 04:12 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found a pair of gas turbines!!!!

If anyone is looking i foudn a pair of gas turbines for $6500 each it will include a tranny of some sort and control and sync units for both engines.

I wish i knew more about turbines I would love to buy one just to start up in my garage and piss of my neighbors!!!!

how tough would it be to install on in a 27' scarab ???
Old 04-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Puder in the winter you could also do a real fine job of heating your garage with the Boat exhaust! A bit expensive but hey the side benefit of the turbines.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Cr#p, that sounds pretty cheap. At the MTu booth at Miami show they had a weenie 4500 hp unit there that they were talking $150,000 or so for.

I know kind of a little about turbines, not from having any hands-on, but I've read a whole bunch about them. Sposedly, the exhaust is not all that hot once you load the power section. If it is not loaded, though, it can get warmish.

The power OUTput is in the "front end" by the air intakes. TYhe "rearend" is just the exhaust. The output shaft runs back up INSIDE the power section shaft to the "front". At least this is the way the MTu units are setup.
Also saw a helicopter motor on display and it was the same setup.

Miss Budweiser was there, though, and it was hard to see how it was configured, but the exhaust appeared to go out the back like you would expect. I don't know if the output shaft on those is up by the driver or what.

What I have learned about turbines is that they use dang near the same amount of fuel from 15% power to 100% power. They are extremely fuel efficient from 80%-100% of rated power (more so than a diesel from a virtually weightless package). Big megayachts use them as kicker motors hooked to jetdrives so they can fire em up at WOT regardless of the speed the yacht is going (a propdrive cannot do this).

Lifespan of a turbine is rated in heat cycles. The number of times the unit is started up and shut down is far more important than the total runtime in hours. In hours, with a single start, the runtime is almost what we would think of as "forever".

Bottom line is that they make great race motors for the incredible power to weight ratio. They make awesome airplane motors for their power to weight and fuel efficiency. They may even make good poker run motors for big water.

They probably suck for the way you and I use a boat. Start, blast down the lake, stop, park. Start, blast, idle around sounding and looking cool, stop. Start stop. Start stop. Idle. Look cool. Sound cool. Dang! It's overdue for maintenance cause of the heat cycles. Keep runnin it and blow the compressor section? Sling a heat-fatigued blade?

They are awful cool, though. And it sounds like this pair is dirt cheap. I'm in if you need a partner on the deal!

M
Old 04-21-2002, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

OOh, I went back and checked my boat show notes and it was $450,000 for the 4500 hp unit.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those may be APU's that are rated for about 200-300 HP and used in those little carts they start the planes with. They do the job but the power isn't that huge.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:50 PM
Registered

Default Turbine clarification

The cycles referred to earlier are not stop/ start but rather idle to near full or full stick. Lots of thermal expansion happening quickly with lots of parts.

Shafts are hooked to intake or exhaust end depending on application, seems most boats take it off the front and run a jackshaft underneath the motor.

Efficiency is not at or near max RPM or power rather somewhere in the middle as this is where aircraft "cruise and they are designed to be fuel friendly there.

These things are available with a huge range of shaft HP depending on application- the APU's are usually less power. a 30 passenger regional plane like a Brasilia (Delta/ASA use to run a bunch of them) has two 1900 shaft rated HP engine, the PW119- that would be a good starting point. The same base engine can be fueled and upgraded to 2700HP.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Puder ,Where did you find them ? I need info !!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:21 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i'm not telling but if you want a pair i can sell tehm to you for 8000 each

but seriosly i will let you know where i found them if you tell me why you need to know? ASD8s and a 39' cat could work pretty well with turbines assuming youl et a certain webdeveloper take it for a spin......