Like Tree0Likes

Fuel line size and fuel filter questions

Reply
Old 03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default Fuel line size and fuel filter questions

I am helping a friend put in his freshly rebuilt procharged 502. The engine builder wants -10 line from the tank to the fuel pump and -8 from the pump to the regulator. Problem is I removed the tank pick-up and it's only a 3/8" pipe thread bung welded into the tank. I would think that would be okay going to -8 line but going to -10 seems pointless as the bottleneck will be at the pick-up. Or am I off on this logic?

Also, his boat currently has 2 aeromotive in-line filters. Is two necessary? I am sure it's helpful but the way it's ran it will be a huge pain to convert over to larger line.
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:34 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
My Boats: 85 Baja Force 320
Posts: 1,570
Default

Aeromotive recommends two filters, one before the fuel pump and one after, but the filter before the pump is a large micron filter. IMO a good setup has the filter screw right to the intake of the pump.

I think you could still benefit some by having the larger fuel line, even if you do have a small bottleneck at the pickup. How far away from the pickup is the fuel pump going to be (or better stated, how long is the larger gas line going to be)?
wjb21ndtown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 PM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown View Post
Aeromotive recommends two filters, one before the fuel pump and one after, but the filter before the pump is a large micron filter. IMO a good setup has the filter screw right to the intake of the pump.

I think you could still benefit some by having the larger fuel line, even if you do have a small bottleneck at the pickup. How far away from the pickup is the fuel pump going to be (or better stated, how long is the larger gas line going to be)?
Got ya on the fuel filters. That is exactly what he has, one filter before the pump and one after, so I will leave it.

The pump is about 18"-24" from the pick-up. I agree that going to -8 is needed but I don't see the point of -10 when the pick-up is only 3/8"???
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
  #4
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
JIMKID Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Livonia Mi Usa
My Boats: 2009 30 LS7 SKATER 711 sold xvi power
Posts: 1,913
Default

you do not want to restrist inlet in any way do the -10 trust us its worth it i know you are down at the fitting but after that let it flow just do young grass hopper
__________________
30 SKATER LS7
JIMKID Motorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
  #5
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default

Decided to wait and talk to the engine builder and he agreed -10 is pointless with a 3/8" pick-up. So, now we have to get a larger pick-up in the tank somehow.
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
  #6
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

can you block it off, and is there a inspection plate next to it that you could take off and have a bigger pick up installed. mine had two plates but I unscrewed my pick up went to larger one then the 10 to 8s to 6s on the dom. other wise empty the tank fill with water cut and have new one welded in drain tank and dry out or put 10gals in then pump out. good luck
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
can you block it off, and is there a inspection plate next to it that you could take off and have a bigger pick up installed. mine had two plates but I unscrewed my pick up went to larger one then the 10 to 8s to 6s on the dom. other wise empty the tank fill with water cut and have new one welded in drain tank and dry out or put 10gals in then pump out. good luck
No inspection plate but there is a plate for the sending unit. I talked with the builder again and he said if we can get it to 1/2" ID that should be good. So, I'm going to try to find a way to weld a pick-up tube to a 3/8" pipe thread fitting that is drilled out to 1/2" ID. If that doesn't work I'll let the builder figure it out when we take the boat down there. Free drinks only buys so much of my labor. LOL
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
  #8
Registered
 
KNOT-RIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Providence,RI
My Boats: Turbine 46 Skater
Posts: 3,172
Default

Is the tank aluminum???




Here is a option your tank bung is Welded right?

This is what I did.

If it is A 3/8 female pipe thread. that is welded. Get a male
3/8NPT brass close nipple. I went to my local hobby shop and got 15\32 brass thin wall tubes which fit perfecly into a 3/8 brass nipple. Soldered them together.
These are about 14 inches long and slide into my existing tank
bungs. The close nipple on the top threads into existing tank bung. The other end of the 3/8 sticks out of tank allowing
the hookups.
These are now my pickups and it allows me to still utilize the tank bungs ( no tank modifications) and 1\32 under a 1/2 inch pickup.

Hope this helps
Gerry
KNOT-RIGHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT View Post
Is the tank aluminum???




Here is a option your tank bung is Welded right?

This is what I did.

If it is A 3/8 female pipe thread. that is welded. Get a male
3/8NPT brass close nipple. I went to my local hobby shop and got 15\32 brass thin wall tubes which fit perfecly into a 3/8 brass nipple. Soldered them together.
These are about 14 inches long and slide into my existing tank
bungs. The close nipple on the top threads into existing tank bung. The other end of the 3/8 sticks out of tank allowing
the hookups.
These are now my pickups and it allows me to still utilize the tank bungs ( no tank modifications) and 1\32 under a 1/2 inch pickup.

Hope this helps
Gerry
Excellent idea. Thanks.
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
  #10
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
JIMKID Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Livonia Mi Usa
My Boats: 2009 30 LS7 SKATER 711 sold xvi power
Posts: 1,913
Default

what kinda power is this motor making
__________________
30 SKATER LS7
JIMKID Motorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.