Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Latest Powerboat Magazine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226954-latest-powerboat-magazine.html)

502ss 03-23-2010 08:38 PM

Latest Powerboat Magazine

Got my latest issue of powerboat yesterday and WOW 33 pages! Double sided of course but still I think one of the smallest issues I have seen to date. Depressing :(. Still some good articles but disapointing at how little content

bajabob 03-23-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 502ss (Post 3073717)
Got my latest issue of powerboat yesterday and WOW 33 pages! Double sided of course but still I think one of the smallest issues I have seen to date. Depressing :(. Still some good articles but disapointing at how little content

ya i agree !!!

redbud35 03-23-2010 08:43 PM

At least you get yours. I've missed at least two issues in the last year and I always get mine 3-4 days after everyone else. I guess my mailman needs a couple days with it.

26 REDLINE 03-23-2010 08:52 PM

Yep I couldn't believe it when I got it, then the articals sucked, hell even Hotboat had a nice last issue, they just never told anyone...:lolhit:

thisistank 03-23-2010 10:22 PM

Magazine cycles are always put out ahead of the actual shelve date (don't ask me why).

Powerboat is doing what it has to do to ensure they make it through these harsh times. If you don't think they've been through harsh economic times before and came back even stronger, you may forget that they have been around since 1969. It would be a travesty to our sport if a magazine that covered our lifestyle for the past 41 years went under.

Have some faith boys. The end is not near. Not even close. Check out their new website to see for yourself:

http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/

They are finding new ways to re-invent themselves and keep up with the times (subscribe to their e-mailer, order boat tests online, check out over 40 years of magazine covers, etc) or even read the various blogs by some well knowns in the business (and then there’s my blog as well:grinser010:).

They have cut back where they could to manage the bottom line. Went back to a smaller magazine (actual size, not content), went back to soft binding instead of hard binding and went from 8 issues to 6 a year. These choices were tough, but I assure you they will be reversed as soon as fiscally possible. You must remember, magazines survive on advertisement dollars. It's kind've tough to put out a thick magazine when many companies aren't paying their ad bills.

I always chuckle slightly when I see these threads. I remember it used to be everyone complaining about too many advertisements in PBM. Now it's that it's too thin (less ads). If you actually pay attention the amount of actual articles in the June issue, it is still on par with all other issues.

Optimism is appreciated, constructive criticism is accepted and suggestions on how to make the magazine (or web page) better are ALWAYS welcome. Those at PBM love to hear from their readers on what they want to see more (or less) of.

You are just seeing the launching stage of the website and things to come. There's plenty more in the works.

Matt Trulio 03-24-2010 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE (Post 3073726)
Yep I couldn't believe it when I got it, then the articals sucked, hell even Hotboat had a nice last issue, they just never told anyone...:lolhit:

Hey 26 Redline (nice boat, by the way)

If you're going to say the "articals sucked," at least spell "articles" correctly. It will help you make your case. (I hope you don't mind a little teasing—it's all good.)

I am a freelance writer for Powerboat—I have been freelance for 10 years—so I don't speak for the magazine. So I'm speaking as a freelance writer when I say times are lean and Tank is correct, the people at Powerboat are doing everything they can to ensure it's around for another 30 years.

Trust me, no one there, and I mean no one enjoys putting out a thin issue. To borrow from your post, it really sucks.

Here's to hoping the economy improves so things overall can suck a little less.

Cheers.

PhantomChaos 03-24-2010 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3073813)
Magazine cycles are always put out ahead of the actual shelve date (don't ask me why).

Powerboat is doing what it has to do to ensure they make it through these harsh times. If you don't think they've been through harsh economic times before and came back even stronger, you may forget that they have been around since 1969. It would be a travesty to our sport if a magazine that covered our lifestyle for the past 41 years went under.

Have some faith boys. The end is not near. Not even close. Check out their new website to see for yourself:

http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/

They are finding new ways to re-invent themselves and keep up with the times (subscribe to their e-mailer, order boat tests online, check out over 40 years of magazine covers, etc) or even read the various blogs by some well knowns in the business (and then there’s my blog as well:grinser010:).

They have cut back where they could to manage the bottom line. Went back to a smaller magazine (actual size, not content), went back to soft binding instead of hard binding and went from 8 issues to 6 a year. These choices were tough, but I assure you they will be reversed as soon as fiscally possible. You must remember, magazines survive on advertisement dollars. It's kind've tough to put out a thick magazine when many companies aren't paying their ad bills.

I always chuckle slightly when I see these threads. I remember it used to be everyone complaining about too many advertisements in PBM. Now it's that it's too thin (less ads). If you actually pay attention the amount of actual articles in the June issue, it is still on par with all other issues.

Optimism is appreciated, constructive criticism is accepted and suggestions on how to make the magazine (or web page) better are ALWAYS welcome. Those at PBM love to hear from their readers on what they want to see more (or less) of.

You are just seeing the launching stage of the website and things to come. There's plenty more in the works.

BINGO!!!

BDiggity 03-24-2010 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3073857)
If you're going to say the "articals sucked," at least spell "articles" correctly. It will help you make your case. (I hope you don't mind a little teasing—it's all good.)

As my 5 year old would say; "ohhhh snap"

I really dont have a problem w/ the size. i read it once cover to cover when i get it, then it goes in either our bedrooms bathroom or in the downstairs bathroom for future quick browsing when on the can. like most mags these days, by the time it goes to print its old news due to the internet. As long as it still has high rez pics, i'm happy.

Pismo10 03-24-2010 09:23 AM

My latest Forbes look the same, very thin, no binding, 30 odd pages. Times are tough all over and on top of that newsprint is a contracting industry even in good times.

Matt, loved your article on the 1350 Merc racing engine and M8 drive. Very cool, only one GM part, a seal.