Notices

Who wears their PRD?

Old 04-22-2002, 01:57 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who wears their PRD?

I was just wondering who actually wears their PFD's lets be honest here. We will probable only here form the guys that do. I allways wear mine as do my kids. When I'm out on the water I would say less than half the people I see have their PRD's on.

How many of you guys have been thrown out of a boat?

Kirk
Old 04-22-2002, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear my Lifeline and my lanyard when running hard, but I don't wear them all of the time. I haven't been thrown from a boat, but I have been thrown from the seat to the floor of a boat I was riding in. It is amazing the forces that can be generated when a wave is hit just right at high speeds. Safety has to be first!!
Attached Thumbnails Who wears their PRD?-boat.jpg  
Old 04-22-2002, 02:33 PM

I only wear a PFD, if I am radaring, or know I am going to be running really hard, like catching air time. I do always wear my LANYARD. But then again, 98% of my boating is less than 40mph.

WILL
Old 04-22-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

PFD and lanyard always. I got in the habit with the little Donzi, and since I go out in the boat alone a lot, I figure it's safer. Never been thrown out yet but want to give myself the best chance if I ever am.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Registered

I've never been thrown from a boat, but I was driving my last boat (Donzi 22ZX stepped hull) when it spun out and threw my brother out. No injury, but a quick lesson in expletives and a new appreciation for stepped hulls and the effects of trim in a turn!!

As far as PFD's my new boat is capable of much more speed, but most time is at 50 and below. I only wear it when I know I'm going to be running very fast. And that's the truth...
Old 04-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Banned

Sad to say, but no I don't wear them, but our speed isn't very high.......yet! The boat doesn't have a laynard kill, but I have a kit for it I need to install.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Registered

when running hard lanyard and pfd are a must.. also whenever i bring young cousins on boat we wear them all the time..
Old 04-22-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Default I did on this day!

The wife and I were leaving the Put in Bay Dock (South Bass Island, Ohio Lake Erie) on Sunday and I told her to get our life jackets. She gave me this funny look and asked if we were going to make it back to Port Clinton. We have been out in some crazy waves before and I have never sugjested putting on the PFD before so she suspected the worst. With the wind blowing 25 knots, waves 6-7 feet, and the temps in the 30's I was looking at the added protection of the pfd against the rain and spray along with the fact that few boats were out because of the conditions. It's quite possible that some of the "wear your PFD" is sinking in and I should have it on more often.
Cordell
Old 04-22-2002, 07:21 PM
Registered

Well I'm ashamed to say I wear neither. Most of my time is spent at a 40-50 mph cruise with and occasional burst at WOT ( it depends on who I can find to race), But after allmost stuffing the boat last year while picking on and beating two other bigger boats in some pretty rough water I plan on wearing something. I haven't decided on which PFD to buy yet though.
It is amazing how much forces are generated. When this incident happened we where running close to 80 in some following 3's with an occasional hole (which I found) , well I saw it coming and was allready bringing the drive in a bit ( I was overtrimmed for the conditions and light on gas) but the boat launched and I vertical ! I felt the transom trip and out of the corner of my eye I could see my passenger get stuffed under the bolster. I didn't move too much because I was wedged into the seat pretty good.
When the bow hit I got back on the throttle and drove thru the next wave so it wasn't too bad of an impact, I do remember looking at the GPS after it happened and we where doing around 60. It's amazing how fast you can lose the momentem.
Well that was a lesson learned , I consider passenger and myself lucky.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Registered

What is a PRD? Is that one of those Personal Rappin Devices?

Quick Reply: Who wears their PRD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.