Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gill exhausts with closed cooling? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227079-gill-exhausts-closed-cooling.html)

Swamplizard 03-25-2010 03:48 PM

Gill exhausts with closed cooling?

Hi folks!

Anyone have a picture or diagram of how Gill exhausts are configured with closed cooling on a Merc 454 or 502 carbed engine?

A picture would be ideal.

Thanks!

Swamplizard 03-26-2010 04:06 PM

no-one?

HabanaJoe 03-26-2010 07:27 PM

Typically on performance gas engines you don't FWC the manifolds just the block. That is why the heat exchangers are so small. I don't know your application but that is what I have seen?

Mr. Cool 03-28-2010 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Swamplizard (Post 3074887)
Hi folks!

Anyone have a picture or diagram of how Gill exhausts are configured with closed cooling on a Merc 454 or 502 carbed engine?

A picture would be ideal.

Thanks!

If you forward pictures of your engine compartment we can probably help you get something lined out based on one of the standard FWC packages we have. Call us at 248-960-7850.

Russ

Swamplizard 04-09-2010 10:17 PM

here are my Gills on the 502s which are raw water cooled:

Thunderstruck 04-11-2010 08:09 AM

I put on closed cooling on my 500 hps with aluminum heads. Mounted the heat exchangers outboard each motor on the stringers. Put on a swivel tstat neck from Summit and routed the hoses to and from the exchanger on the outside of the tubes for the motor coolant.

Routed the raw water to the tube side of the exchanger. coming out of the exchanger I ran a hose to the tstat and clamped it on a "custom" made bracket with a tee. The hooked up the Gils hoses to the tee.

Runs great.

Swamplizard 04-11-2010 09:29 AM

Thunderstruck - can you post or email me some pictures of your layout?

I understand where the raw and coolant wanter need to go but am not sure how to get the coolant water into and OUT of the Gil manifold. The raw water directly into the riser is pretty obvious.
Is there an "out" port on the Gil exhausts other than up through the riser? Do I need a block off gasket between the manifold and the riser?

Thunderstruck 04-13-2010 08:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just plumb the sea water out of the exchanger into the bottom of the gils just as if you don't have closed cooling. Keep the rest of the plumbing for the gils the same.

Thunderstruck 04-13-2010 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More

Thunderstruck 04-13-2010 09:00 PM

Reread your post about coolant water into the manifolds. I have sea water on the manifolds and the risers/tailpipes. You may have too much heat load to put the manifolds on closed cooling along with the block. Also, you will need to balance the flow somehow evenly between the manifolds.