Notices

Dana Trim Tabs

Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana Trim Tabs

Bought some Dana Marine trim tabs for my 21' ski boat and fitted them at christmas. Have used the boat regularly (probably 8-10 times) since christmas and just recently found the up trim solenoids started sticking. On calling Dana i was told i shouldnt wet them and if they had of known they would get wet they would have fitted them with marine solenoids.
Is it just me or wouldnt marine solenoids be a given seeing they are trim tabs and a pretty good chance they would be fitted to a boat?
To add insult to injury i bought new marine solenoids for $125 each! Spent 1/2 day fitting them (they are mounted in a prick of a spot) only to find they wont work at all. I can only assume what i bought isnt the same as what was on there. They look identical and have all the same poles for wire connections?
Anyone else had the same problems?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What trim pumps are they, the merc ones?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

For my Merc tabs I had to make sure the solenoid chassis was isolated. Some look exactly the same but are chassis grounding.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Registered

Yea the merc trim pumps.
Turns out after speaking to my auto electrician today the new solenoids i was sold were the wrong ones (24v instead of 12v).
Got 4 more new ones on order.
This is getting expensive! Well for me anyway