Notices

Outboard Speeds

Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
We tried to dupilcate the 32 dw with my 328 cob race skater. 60" tunnel. 72"tunnel tab, light weight carbon/foam layup,deck cut way down, but it was a big boat, with wide sponsons, and an overall width of 10'3". Best we saw out of it with 15" 2.5 mercs was about 110mph, about 10mph off the DW pace.
I was talking about widening a 28......or even a 30. The 32 Skater is, indeed, a big boat......probably too big for twin outboard maximum speed use. No doubt Doug Wright hit on something with his 32....but is having difficulty re capturing magic in a bottle at larger sizes.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

I couldn't agree more with the highlighted section above. Nice to hear it from another source the width of that DW makes it very fast ---packs the air and lets the sponsons tip toe over the water---aka air entrapment hull.

KAP
You want to see real air entrapment?......Watch my "wing" run.

T2x
Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We tried to dupilcate the 32 dw with my 328 cob race skater. 60" tunnel. 72"tunnel tab, light weight carbon/foam layup,deck cut way down, but it was a big boat, with wide sponsons, and an overall width of 10'3". Best we saw out of it with 15" 2.5 mercs was about 110mph, about 10mph off the DW pace.
Comment:

Can you post some photos of this boat it sure would be nice to see it---sounds like a fun project.

What was the problem with the boat carbon/foam layup should be very light---I would guess the overall weight or the CG was not right for outboards---just a guess.

You can elaborate and fill in the blanks I always like hearing from boaters with experience aka hard work, and headaches from trying new things.

KAP

P.S. T2X don't hold back you can post a video it doesn't seem like were gonna have any guys chiming in on their top speeds probably need to post at Scream and Fly but that site is not an offshore site more of a river rocket site.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran 115-117 with my 30' Motion with triple 280's. Unless you are full race light hull the 120 mark is about it for a pleasure outboard cat. If you want faster you need to go I/O power. A dead reliable setup is my 32 Skater with twin 700 EFI and Dry Number Sixes. 130+ mph. With the extra weight they are handle much better at top speed than the outboard boats. Outboard cats get real loose at high speed. Shogren Performance has the 32 for sale for only $114,995.
Attached Thumbnails Outboard Speeds-digital-file1-256%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Stop fishing dude and Man Up...You need to step up on the west coast and run the boys in the DCB's down with a 26' RPM See you in 23 days...Havazoooooooooo
Would like to see one of these with twin 300's. Be curious to how it would run.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Can you post some photos of this boat it sure would be nice to see it---sounds like a fun project.

What was the problem with the boat carbon/foam layup should be very light---I would guess the overall weight or the CG was not right for outboards---just a guess.

You can elaborate and fill in the blanks I always like hearing from boaters with experience aka hard work, and headaches from trying new things.

KAP

P.S. T2X don't hold back you can post a video it doesn't seem like were gonna have any guys chiming in on their top speeds probably need to post at Scream and Fly but that site is not an offshore site more of a river rocket site.
it's now racing as Spirit of UAE in the x cat series. I know rich narrated some video of it running in the hudson river poker run. The issue was that the sponsons were much wider than a dw and there was just more boat to push. Acceleration was better 60-100 though.

Last edited by stainless; 03-31-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEz7rZ10gHo

quick shot at 55 sec and again at 2:40

Last edited by stainless; 03-31-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Registered

http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/2007nycprvideo.html
here's a better clip with rich narrating. @:29 sec

Last edited by stainless; 03-31-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I ran 115-117 with my 30' Motion with triple 280's. Unless you are full race light hull the 120 mark is about it for a pleasure outboard cat. If you want faster you need to go I/O power. A dead reliable setup is my 32 Skater with twin 700 EFI and Dry Number Sixes. 130+ mph. With the extra weight they are handle much better at top speed than the outboard boats. Outboard cats get real loose at high speed. Shogren Performance has the 32 for sale for only $114,995.
Comment:
Generally speaking, I think your conclusion is correct there is always an exception boat but your right ie...120MPH is about the max. Second, size matters when your in the ocean so a 28 footer is really tiny for the Pacific Ocean.

A better set-up is a flat deck 30 with those motors and NXT drives [less weight with the NXT]. I'm not knocking the 32 because every foot counts when your running in the ocean it probably kicks azz.

Originally Posted by ziemer
Would like to see one of these with twin 300's. Be curious to how it would run.
Funny you mention that----as it is a contender in my book. The only draw back is 26 feet is awful small for the ocean---lakes and rivers no problem---also if you run a Mirage, STV everything else seems huge but it's not.

it's now racing as Spirit of UAE in the x cat series. I know rich narrated some video of it running in the hudson river poker run. The issue was that the sponsons were much wider than a dw and there was just more boat to push. Acceleration was better 60-100 though.
The second video was such a teaser nice looking boat seems from the clip that it runs strong and dry carrys the bow real good. Hey thanks for sharing those clips I love that stuff nice to see the envelope being pushed surprised Mr. Hledin did not perfect that idea and smoke the competition like he always does---guess you can't win every category.

KAP
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Outcast1
Back in the early 90's there was another company called Redline that had a 28 that ran 118+ with old school power, I would guarantee if you put todays technology behind it it would run some crazy speeds and handle like a dream. Profile has the molds now and only produce it in an inboard version.

Profile did make a couple of the 28's with outboards. I have one of them. I have a 1998 profile 2800 cat with twin 300's. I run mostly and Lake Michigan and it runs great through the slop out there. I have been nothing but happy with the boat.

I want to move up to a little bigger cat, with more I/O power, but just not in the finances right now. I have toyed around with listing my boat for sale, but the market just sucks right now and don't want to lose my ass on my boat. I would be happy getting what I owe out of it, but that is even difficult these days.