Notices

Outboard Speeds

Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the early 90's there was another company called Redline that had a 28 that ran 118+ with old school power, I would guarantee if you put todays technology behind it it would run some crazy speeds and handle like a dream. Profile has the molds now and only produce it in an inboard version.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Offshoresteve, tzrider, cookee and T2X---hey T2X what types of hulls are those other guys running I assume 28 Skaters.

KAP
All of the Long Island hulls, over 26 feet, that have achieved over 120 and are outboard powered are 28 foot Skaters.....as are the NJ boats. My 28 Skater w/2x300x motors ran over 122 flat out on a cool day with 20 gallons of gas and a single driver..... it ran over 120 with a passenger on a couple of occasions. I never removed seats or other hardware, safety equipment etc. Mine was not the fastest but it was typical of what a pair of stock 300x motors could achieve if set up properly. Ex Offshore racer, Charlie Tesauro, has seen north of 126 in his...but that was with the interior stripped and some highly tuned/modified 2.5 mercs.

In typical midsummer boating my boat with a fuel load and a couple of passengers could bank on 117-118 any time I wanted. That's a lot of speed for the typical knucklehead and more than most can handle.

I would love to do an A-B comparison with 300x motors on a 32 DW and a 28 Skater.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 03-30-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SkaterJim from Georgia is probably the fastest 127 and some change.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered

TSX wrote:
I would love to do an A-B comparison with 300x motors on a 32 DW and a 28 Skater.
I would love to see that comparison.

Honestly, I would put my money on the DW in every category speed, handling and rough water capability----well the only category I could see the Skater besting the DW in would be standing start acceleration. That is simple physics smaller somewhat lighter boats will have the holeshot everytime until about the first turn.

KAP

P.S. I'm running 118+MPH in a deckboat currently hows that for your family boat---with my bimini top up cruise at 85MPH no problem 9.5 foot bimini.

P.P.S. Hence, if I went to an outboard boat it would need to be in that realm of speed---which would be fast enough--- anything more and things get a little to flighty for my tastes.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered

The problem with that comparison would finding a pleasure 32 dw to do it with. The 28 Skater in calm water will be faster. On the race course the 28 can not touch the DW
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
I would love to see that comparison.

Honestly, I would put my money on the DW in every category speed, handling and rough water capability----well the only category I could see the Skater besting the DW in would be standing start acceleration. That is simple physics smaller somewhat lighter boats will have the holeshot everytime until about the first turn.

KAP
You could complicate this by laminating the Skater as light as the DW......and...... widening the tunnel in scale with the DW. At that point the 28 Skater would become a whole different animal and 130+ would be easily attainable. I wish Peter would try one of these but, as a custom boat the price might get a little steep for a smallish outboard. The DW is very light...and very wide in the tunnel area.....and that is the basic "secret" to its speed. They are impressive no doubt and I have been pleasantly surprised watching them at the races.....

T2x
Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered

I run a '73 MAGNUM SEDAN w/twin 300X's, boat weighs over 5,600#, GPS @ 78, @ 6,300 RPM. Prop work being performed to get to 6,800. Not the fastest but for and old straight V-bottom, solid glass hull...it does the job.."HIGH LIFE"
Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
You could complicate this by laminating the Skater as light as the DW......and...... widening the tunnel in scale with the DW. At that point the 28 Skater would become a whole different animal and 130+ would be easily attainable. I wish Peter would try one of these but, as a custom boat the price might get a little steep for a smallish outboard. The DW is very light...and very wide in the tunnel area.....and that is the basic "secret" to its speed. They are impressive no doubt and I have been pleasantly surprised watching them at the races.....

T2x
We tried to dupilcate the 32 dw with my 328 cob race skater. 60" tunnel. 72"tunnel tab, light weight carbon/foam layup,deck cut way down, but it was a big boat, with wide sponsons, and an overall width of 10'3". Best we saw out of it with 15" 2.5 mercs was about 110mph, about 10mph off the DW pace.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Outcast1
Back in the early 90's there was another company called Redline that had a 28 that ran 118+ with old school power, I would guarantee if you put todays technology behind it it would run some crazy speeds and handle like a dream. Profile has the molds now and only produce it in an inboard version.
Yes fast and fun boats.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x

T2x
Comment:

I couldn't agree more with the highlighted section above. Nice to hear it from another source the width of that DW makes it very fast ---packs the air and lets the sponsons tip toe over the water---aka air entrapment hull.

The Doug Wright people are like phantoms I mean how many boats race---pleasure are currently on the water 4-5 maybe and I mean within the last 5 years.

KAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.