Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   fountain windshield (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227368-fountain-windshield.html)

Fountain Family 03-29-2010 06:42 PM

fountain windshield

I have a 1996 27ft Fountain fever and have been wanting to take off the windshield and paint it white. I was wondering if anyone has done that and if so how hard was it to take of and on and then also how did it turn out? Pics would be good!

I am looking to paint it white to match the boat. Any info will be helpful.
Thanks!

Fountain Family 03-30-2010 12:08 PM

bttt

blue thunder 03-30-2010 04:14 PM

I'd like to do the same but have seen them painted and they always look like shhit. I was thinking about wrapping it in sheet aluminum and riveting it on, then getting it powder coated white. I think the rivets might actually look cool. Can't ever decide though. Wish I could find a take off f/g fairing that would work......

mapism 03-30-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 3078220)
I was thinking about wrapping it in sheet aluminum and riveting it on, then getting it powder coated white

Careful with powdercoated alu, you might just switch from one problem to another.
We already debated the topic in this thread.

Ran-Dom 32 03-30-2010 06:46 PM

I had it done on my '99 Fountain 35, I had a body shop paint it base/clear & it turned out awesome, I'll try to find a pic

Fountain Family 03-30-2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ran-Dom 32 (Post 3078310)
I had it done on my '99 Fountain 35, I had a body shop paint it base/clear & it turned out awesome, I'll try to find a pic

Thanks for the info. I would really like to see some pictures. How hard was it to remove and put back on the windshield?

US1 Fountain 03-30-2010 08:34 PM

Have you considered covering it with vinly? Just in case you want to go back, just peel it off.

redsled33 03-31-2010 07:54 AM

We painted the lexan windshield on our boat it turned out great. Removing the windhield was not that difficult I took it off in one piece and then disassembled it to paint it.

Fountain Family 03-31-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by redsled33 (Post 3078613)
We painted the lexan windshield on our boat it turned out great. Removing the windhield was not that difficult I took it off in one piece and then disassembled it to paint it.

Thats what i am wanting to hear. Do you have any before and after pictures?

redsled33 03-31-2010 10:16 AM

I have to look for a few of them or i can take a picture of the current windshield which is no loger on the boat since we are building a new one. My windshield was painted black b/c it worked better with my paint schemeand the smoked lexan on mine looked very dated. Painting it white should not be a problem. I manage a body shop in the fairfield area if we can be of any assitance to you.