Notices

OT: Satellite TV

Old 04-22-2002, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OT: Satellite TV

Hi Gang :

Sorry this isn't boat related, but I need some opinions (easy task on this site!) about using satellite tv. I am getting rid of my cable (over priced!) and want to know which is better, Direct Tv or Dish Network? If there are others around to look into, tell me about it. Just so I can irratate my wife, it absolutely has to have Speedvision for the APBA, SBI, Superbike and NHRA.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:56 PM
Registered

I know that Dish Network has a special going right now where you can have it installed in 4 rooms which until now you have only been able to have it installed in 2 by any company.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally posted by wavejumppin
I know that Dish Network has a special going right now where you can have it installed in 4 rooms which until now you have only been able to have it installed in 2 by any company.
Yeah, however the problem is I think that is an exclusive to Radio Shack......
Old 04-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

I've got direcTV, as they call it. It's got a package for 39.99 per month, I think it's total choice, it's got 145 channels including speedvision, that's all I wanted was speedvision, and the only reason I need a tv as far as I'm concerned, too bad they show nascar on it all the time now, boring... but with a 1 year commmitment they throw in hbo & cinemax for 3 months free. If you want premium channels it's $12 for the first one, $11 for the second, ten for the 3rd ect..., but there are like 7 hbo's if you get hbo, and 3 max'x if you get max, 5 stars if you get stars, but they all have several channels, pay for hbo, and get all the hbo's not just one, if you sign up w/1 yr commitment to hbo & max they give you the first 6 months free for the 2 premium channels. 12+11 $23 savings per month for the first 6 months. I've never looked into dish network, but someone that has it can chime in and tell about that. They've got a website, I think it's directv.com or something like that. I dont have any complaints about it.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 04-22-2002 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm using dish network and I'm pretty happy with the service, no complaints in 4 years.

I pay something like $37.xx for America's top 150 package with two recievers. There's more chit on there than I know what to do with. HBO(6chan), Max(3chan), stars(4chan), Showtime(5chan) all are 10 bucks a month individually and get cheaper the more you get. Speedvision is included along with the regular stuff you'd expect. Plus you get 30 cd music channels--commercialless continuous digital music with subtitles for artist, song name, etc...Great for parties and get-togethers!

Old 04-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Registered

They're both good, but only DISH had the local channels for my area so I went with DISH. So you might want to check local coverage as a deciding factor.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recently started digital cable along with cable internet.
The cost was considerably less than regular cable, internet service fee and phone line costs, about 68.00 total (was almost 88.00). I also got the Showtime (5 ch.) and The Movie Channel (3+/-) package. I hate HBO.
I get all the channels that satellite gets, Speed Channel too, and the reception is just as good. I only have it on the living room tv (61" projection) and rest of the house has regular cable and one premium channel (Showtime) all included at no extra cost.
Service provided by Adelphia.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:22 PM
Registered

Troutly,
That depends on if you do it legally or not... Not that I would ever do anything illegal... anymore, but those channels are pretty Good! LOL!!!

The directv has all the music channels too and the locals here in detroit. Hey The dish network sounds cheaper, I'm gettin ripped off!!! I went with directv due to the fact that I had a bunch of thier equipment prior to signing up for it.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 04-22-2002 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Direct TV and got HBO and Skinamax free for 6 months and then regular price for 6. I installed it in about 3 hours with 1 receiver.

So far no complaints. I just have the basic package of $31.99 per.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 PM
BK
Registered

Whatever package you get, make sure that you also get "THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL" (TOC). This is not the same as Outdoor Life network (OLN).

I heard a rumor that TOC is going to have a lot of boat racing on it this summer, some of the many boat racing programs that SPEEDCHANNEL dropped.

Quick Reply: OT: Satellite TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.