FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic >

FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic

Notices

FNG Question: Hummer 2 tow 31' Sonic

Old 04-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hummer is an interesting vehicle. My next door neighbor is a dealer and we borrow them a lot to deliver big boats. They will pull most anything, a 15000# 400SS Formula is no sweat. We will use one to tow the new 38ZR Donzi to poker runs. Downside is creature comforts,ease of operation,unbelievalle width in parking lots,etc.Karen refuses to drive them,doesnt want to ride unless I furnish a stepladder.But the ego trip( if you're into that) is better than driving most anything else,pull into a gas station and everybody comes out. So it's a trade off. I suggest driving one a day or two before you decide,they aren't for everybody, but I guess that's the point.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Registered

I took a hummer company fleet vehicle (GM) to a meeting last year. I was all geeked when I saw it in the lot, so I signed up for it along with everyone else at gm, 3 months later when I finally got it, I couldn't stand how tight the seating was, I mean it was a cool as hell truck, but the move out of the way to shut the door, then smash back down into your seat, cranmmed between the console and door panel thing was really uncomfortable. I wonder how Arnold got the door closed in his!! Never towed or know anyone that has, but It was a cool truck, I think I could live with the cramped interior if you can fit in it and live with that, why not, that would be sweet towing with a hummer.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 04-22-2002 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Registered

I have two friends that bought civilian versions and hated them. Niether towed anything that I know of but bought them because they, Are pretty F'in cool, well we all know how long that lasts. Everything from comfort to wireing to parking was a nightmare. Another friend bought three military versions for about 15K a piece. They were completely gutted and only did about 55mph flat out. He bought them to re-sell which took about 2 1/2 years, so re-sale might not be what you think. You might want to look at that dually again.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:24 PM
HavasuCat

If you want an awesome offroad vehicle then the Hummer is it. If you want a tow vehicle the Hummer is not the answer. My powerstroke diesel will out accelerate a hummer towing a 10,000# boat with the hummer towing nothing. I drove a hummer while in the Persian Gulf and the thing would go anywhere but it was very slow accelerating and toped out around 70 mph. I think they are rated at under 200 hp and they are fairly heavy vehicles.

Old 04-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have set a some Hummers for people to tow with .

In my opinion they stink for towing !! They have no power with that diesel ,No handling what so ever , Those big spongy tires and drop arm suspension will get you killed in a turn with a load beleive me !and no room inside for a normal size adult to sit . I have unfortunatly had to use many for towing & to give the owners lessons in towing ! I would never use one if I had a choice . Of course once these people spend $80k-$90k on one ,they have to talk themselves into beleiving it is a good vehicle ! I don't know if they are all the same but the ones I have driven with diesels all top out at 60mph ! That is no good !

It's pretty bad when even a slow boat is faster then the truck pulling it ! BEWARE OF THE HUMMERRRRRRRRRRRR ................