Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anybody in or around Columbia South Carolina ??? >

Anybody in or around Columbia South Carolina ???

Notices

Anybody in or around Columbia South Carolina ???

Old 04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody in or around Columbia South Carolina ???

I lost my job this week and I have a potential offer to go there to take a job. I live NW of Chicago and have lived here all my life (46 yrs).

I also understand that Columbia is close to Ocean and mountains and that Lake Murray is the big lake nearby.

Any info you can give me to help me decide if I should go would be appreciated. Our kids are grown, so school is no problem. Wife would also need to find work eventually.

I'm sure cost of living is less there. Is the area growing ??

Thanks !!!

Smitty
Old 04-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

Phantom1 lives on Lake Murray. I think he's actually a native.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Registered

just sold my boat to a guy at Lake Murray, I think there website is lake murray powerboats.com, looks like a cool boating scene
Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Registered

very nice place to live the lake murray is the best plus you are half way between the great smokey moutains and the great beaches of S.C. you will love the winters but you might not like the hot and humid summers born and raised here.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered

Been here all my life, Boat on lake murray from april till sept.
great group of people on the lake! You are very close to the mountains and several nice beaches. The weather is nice mild winters but as said before summers can be hot 90-100 degress in july and august. lakemurraypowerboats.com
Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

I moved from the Chicago Suburbs (Algonquin) to North Carolina almost 17 years ago now. Everytime I go back to visit in Chicago, I can't wait to leave. Lake Murray area is very nice. You are also pretty close to Lake Norman where many boating events take place. Cost of living down south is way cheaper. I would move in a second. Jeff Wurl
Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Registered

you need to come down and take a look , i live in Charlotte which is a little over 1 hr north. Columbia is the capital of SC and has a lot to offer but it will be way laid back from what you are used to up north. For me i don't see how you guys take the weather up there. As was said we can boat from Apr. To as late and Nov.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I lived there for 15 years and loved it! Murray is a great lake, with lots of long runs, and coves galore where you can go hang out and not see anyone all day. Plus areas where you can tie up with others and listen to some bands from time to time. And a couple of decent restaurants/bars.

There are plenty of places to camp on the islands if you are into that, and the homes on the lake are quite reasonable all things considered. One of the things I really miss is getting home from work and walking out on the dock and jumping in the boat for a nice ride. Its like having a 48k acre back yard.

And as others have stated, its about two hours to the mountains and two hours to the beach.

It does get a bit hot and humid in the summer, but just jump in the lake and its all good.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered

Come on dowm. Just in time for the summer!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Registered

Moved to SC 13 years ago from Naperville, IL and never looked back. Lived on Lake Murray for the last 8 and I don't know how I ever got along off the lake. Summers are hot and living on the Lake helps much with being able to jump off the dock at a moments notice. The slow pace will take some getting used to for you, but once you do you will love it. The boating is incredible with no crowds like the Chicago lakes and a super long season. Cost of living is incredibly low here also. Got a few Mid westerners in our group.If you come down, join our site and come see us for a cold one this summer!

Jim
LakeMurrayPowerboats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.