Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Drew Marine SIDEWINDER STEERING STABILIZER?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22768-drew-marine-sidewinder-steering-stabilizer.html)

220EagleXp 04-22-2002 05:13 PM

Drew Marine SIDEWINDER STEERING STABILIZER??

Has anybody used this system, have any comments or concerns. I am looking into this system because a suitable mounting location can't be found for hydraulic external steering on my boat. Thanks

Kanookstr 04-22-2002 06:38 PM

I had them on my old boat. I loved them. It even got rid of a bad chine walk I had over 70 mph. I liked them so much, that I removed them before I sold the boat so I can put them on my new one.:)

Raypanic 04-22-2002 07:04 PM

I have been concidering the same thing for my 236 Eagle XP, The exhaust and the swim steps are in the way. I look at it as better than nothing, and could be a life saver.

jafo 04-22-2002 08:55 PM

I have them (dual install) on my Formula 242LS (twin SBC) and love 'em. They got rid of a lot of handling issues-
I'm on the road right now, but have a lot of pictures and some tricks on the install on my home puter- I'll post 'em when I get home. I had to adapt for drive reservoirs, showers, and swim platform brackets, as well as exhausts. Send me an e-mail if you want.
Jim

26scarab 04-22-2002 09:05 PM

I had one before I put on external steering. It worked great but I think it is still better to do the steering.
The price for the Drew thing is what , close to $500 ? For another $700-800 you can do external steering, it might not be full hydralic to the helm but it can be updated later.

Waterfoul 04-22-2002 10:06 PM

I've had one on my boat for 5 years now. It's starting to wear out. But when new, it took all the play out of the steering and kept the drive straighter when I launched the boat off a swell. Also, in anything up to 3 or 4 feet, I could actually let go of the wheel for a short time (like to hit a GPS button or something because we all know your right hand NEVER leaves the throttle!!!) and not spin out!!!!!!

Donzi Corleone 04-23-2002 10:43 PM

I too have one on my 22ZX,u gotta have it if your reaching speed in excess of 60mph,it will be a life saver!

MnFastBoat 04-24-2002 01:00 AM

get hydaulic steering
its the safest thing to do
especially if running above 60
Twin drives and have only internal wow
that would be scary
I have twin ram on my drives.
I can drive with no hands on mine. Dont have to worry about the drives moving unless I move the steering.
Much safer.
I know of one person that has them on and he did it to correct his chine. He still chines all over the place but he says it is better then what it was.
I will not run with him