possibly stupid question about registrations >

possibly stupid question about registrations

Notices

possibly stupid question about registrations

Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possibly stupid question about registrations

I just purchased a boat from TX and will be using it in NY. I have a signed Bill of Sales and I'm waiting for the seller's bank to send a lien release letter before I can register it in NY.

Is is a bad idea to take it out on the hudson river with the TX registration? I will at some point get pulled over by the coast guard or NYPD. Will they understand or is this a big no no?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Ross
Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered

I would think your Bill of Sale would be sufficient for atleast 30 days. Not a year from now however. You can probably call you county clerk's office, or wildlife agency (whoever does boat registrations there) for specific info.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Gold Member

Even with the coast guard?
I just purchased it this past weekend.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Insure the boat and carry all the paper work you have on the boat, even copies (title if you have it). I did it in the St Lawerance river for about 2-3 weeks before I got pulled over, played dum and just got a warning. By the next week I had the boat registered.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered

Default California

On the Left Coast,
We were stopped by 4 different LE agencies within 10 miles on the Sacramento River. The only issue was the registration stickers had expired and we forgot the new ones which were on the kitchen counter.
Musta been a slow day for them. All were cool, in fact we yelled at the last one that we had already been stopped 3 times, so he laughed and waved, off we went.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as you have the Bill of Sale you should be able to get a temporary registration, or at least in Missouri you can while your waiting for the paper work to get finished...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Registered

Its a NO NO. I am on one of the Marine Units just north of NYC. (Hudson River) I'll just say if you had NY registration numbers you might fly under the radar, but you don't see to many boats on Hudson with TX registrations. Just saying you are going to stick out like a sore thumb and will have more of a chance of being stopped. If you go make sure you have all the paper work showing you as new owner. Boat is unregistered so it can be impounded. I see your local, so if you been watching the news with all the stepped up Homeland Security, lower Hudson near NYC would be a good place to stay away from till you get it registered. Good Luck and Safe Boating.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbarna
I just purchased a boat from TX and will be using it in NY. I have a signed Bill of Sales and I'm waiting for the seller's bank to send a lien release letter before I can register it in NY.

Is is a bad idea to take it out on the hudson river with the TX registration? I will at some point get pulled over by the coast guard or NYPD. Will they understand or is this a big no no?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Ross
Is this a 29' Superboat with 496?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered

rbarna
I replyed to your PM, not sure if it went out. let me know.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

clustergear: got your PM back but nothing was in it!

gerritm: very close! it's a superboat y2k 30' with a 496HO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.