Notices

Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...

Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tank
The shock and confusion of actually being called out on their antics is pretty priceless. Most of the time, they start yelling about something they are always wrong about (at least from my experience), usually having to do with a speed limit.
I can relate to this Tank.

Here in NJ we as Powerboaters had to fight off a 35 mph speed limit for all tidal waters not once but twice...

Once I was aware of the second attempt I went on a mission to stop these people hopefully for good.

Dave P of the NJPPC produced an incredible presentation in fairness to all sides and showed how we must all share the same waters and all get along.

The sailboating community complained of the Speeding in No Wake Zones and operatoring the powerboats carelessly, etc.

The final page of the presentation displayed those three accusations with the help of my surveillence photographs.

What could be seen in the photographs was not just one sailing organization but three different sailing organizations doing what they accused the "Performance Powerboaters" of.

I heard the looks on the sailboaters faces were priceless!

Children bow riding and sitting on gunnels.

Speeding in No Wake Zones in front of their Marinas in which they previously had the No Wake Zone extended to avoid the wakes coming from boats coming off plane.

Passing Sailboats too closely and at Speed

At speed in a cove of the Wildlife Refuge.

Just in case they were to try to say they were responding to an emergency, I tracked them the entire way. All they were doing was transporting more kids to the sailboats for the regatta.

SEE ALL PHOTOS HERE -> SPEED LIMIT SLIDE SHOW

And yes I enjoy sailing as well.
I have made a trip on a 68' Erwin from St Pete. Fl to St Thomas to deliver a new sailboat to the island. A great time!

And just last week I had my daughter out for the 1st time on a Hobie in Punta Cana, Dominion Republic.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 04-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wind ***s.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The real story, courtesy of Berkeley Breathed ("Bloom County" strip) and Boating magazine several years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...-1powerboater_versus_sailboater_edited.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I didnt know wind faagg was on the do not say list.

Last edited by tbanzer; 04-09-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Tim!

The slide show is priceless, what a great job documenting it.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
You're just telling me I'm #1!!

Ya know.....I can't recall a person on a sailboat EVER giving me the bird. There have been a few that don't wave back though for one reason or another. I sailed a Hobie Cat 16 for about 12 years. We used to even take it down to do Regatta's in Ensenada. Sailing is awesome.....powerboating is too. Just being on the water to what "floats my boat".

Like Jon says......I think it is the noise that is the main issue.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by brians fever
i chatted with a sail boater last season about his rigging not clanging and banging like so many others do. and he told me it only takes a little time to fix that. so they like to pizz with us to.
When the noise complaints started coming this was one of the 1st things I brought up. Knowing it does not take much to resolve that issue, but many of them do not bother. Being around any marina on a good windy day any time of the year the rigging is like wind chimes. And not everyone likes wind chimes, especially 24 hours a day.

It may have sounded pointless at the meeting, but I just couldn't hold it back and had to say it.

Much of the people complaining only live on the water a short time of the year. They know ahead of time buying their home there will be some seasonal annoyances.

If they don't like the sound of airplanes, would they buy a home next to an airport.

Prime example, I know Banner Planes fly all summer long at the shore. You do not see me trying to stop them because I know this is someone's seasonal business. I may not always like it when they fly over my house, but I deal with it. If it bothered me that much, I would move....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone else remember the bolt incident with Anna in Newport? Guy got lucky that Stinson and I did not go over the railing.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
If they don't like the sound of airplanes, would they buy a home next to an airport.

Prime example, I know Banner Planes fly all summer long at the shore. You do not see me trying to stop them because I know this is someone's seasonal business. I may not always like it when they fly over my house, but I deal with it. If it bothered me that much, I would move....
Unfortunately you are a minority. The mentality today is "I got a great deal on this house at the end of the runway, now let's ban airplanes."

Idiots.

I spend hours at work each day dealing with noise complaints pertaining to our aircraft (I work for a very large fractional jet company) from all over the country and globe. Look at some of the issues at Santa Monica, the same idiots that complain about it use the airport every day. I even had one person explain to me that his airplane was quiet, only everyone elses was loud.

Can't fix stupid.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Just read your blog about the Kilo speed record. Who else besides Cig and OL could mount a credible attempt? Laveycraft's 39 has run almost 110 with Merc 700s. With 1500s they should be able to get close if the bottom will let them.
I think that anyone that put enough money into it and had a decent boat (Lavey's 39, Statement, Skater, maybe even Eliminators (Larry Smith designed) 43), could make a credible attempt and possibly beat the record.

Technology has changed over the past 5 years. Just take Merc's new turbo motors....

Sharkey, great story...

Like I say, I have no hatred against sail boats...I actually enjoy sailing and have many friends that have sail boats. It just seems, even with my sail boat friends, that most know of this hatred from sail boaters towards powerboaters. It's kind've an inside joke with my neighber that has a 45 Catalina. He has a Cigarette shirt and I tell him all the time, if his sailing buddies see's him wearing it, he'll be kicked out of the club!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.