The 39 Rockit with 725 Ilmors and Indy drives hit 115 mph >

The 39 Rockit with 725 Ilmors and Indy drives hit 115 mph

Notices

The 39 Rockit with 725 Ilmors and Indy drives hit 115 mph

Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
.... "crews are the only ones in the boat business working 40 hour weeks." Yet when I specifically asked how many of the 39 Rockits he has built/sold over the last 2 years (since they are the best, fastest boat out there right now) all I got was silence much like this thread when the GPS was requested.
A lot/most of the recently built Hustlers run overseas. Believe me or not, there are more Hustlers in Russia than in anywhere else.

I sold them, but would be stupid to tell any number.
Heiko
[Funboats, Germany]
Old 04-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
The other advantage I see from Ilmor vs. Merc. 700 is no supercharger. I will take n/a power over supercharged power any day for reliability factors.
Comment:

I disagree with your unsupported conclusion--- a fuel injected blower motor like the HP700 will run circles around an ILMOR and deliver power in the heat and altitude a lot better than any naturally aspirated motor.

As for reliability the HP700 is a work horse type platform and reliability is phenomenol. The only issue is perhaps a little more attention to maintenance than a N/A motor ie...blower oil changes and belts.

I will take a fuel injected blower motor all day long if I bought this platform it would definitely have a set of blower motors.

KAP
P.S. Plus the resale is better and you can upgrade the HP700 to a Whipple stage one or two and really put up some numbers.

P.P.S. Still waiting for a GPS photo of the speedo!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

I disagree with your unsupported conclusion--- a fuel injected blower motor like the HP700 will run circles around an ILMOR and deliver power in the heat and altitude a lot better than any naturally aspirated motor.

As for reliability the HP700 is a work horse type platform and reliability is phenomenol. The only issue is perhaps a little more attention to maintenance than a N/A motor ie...blower oil changes and belts.

I will take a fuel injected blower motor all day long if I bought this platform it would definitely have a set of blower motors.

KAP
P.S. Plus the resale is better and you can upgrade the HP700 to a Whipple stage one or two and really put up some numbers.

This is what I was getting at.. and you did a better job of getting my point across. Thank You..

Now..I would like to hear the rebuttle or different view points from some of the Ilmor owners. Thanks Guys. Jeff
Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
This is what I was getting at.. and you did a better job of getting my point across. Thank You..

Now..I would like to hear the rebuttle or different view points from some of the Ilmor owners. Thanks Guys. Jeff
What engines were merc running in P1 against Ilmor?
Just curious, not trying to be a wise ass.

Last edited by stainless; 04-18-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
...a fuel injected blower motor like the HP700 will run circles around an ILMOR and deliver power in the heat and altitude a lot better than any naturally aspirated motor.
True. nothing beats a pump at altitude. That effect doesn't come into play in the ocean, though. Acceleration will be better for the blower engine, providing boost is added in the mid-range.

Originally Posted by kap
...As for reliability the HP700 is a work horse type platform and reliability is phenomenol. The only issue is perhaps a little more attention to maintenance than a N/A motor ie...blower oil changes and belts...
The NXT's reputation is not quite as stellar, however.

Originally Posted by kap
Plus the resale is better and you can upgrade the HP700 to a Whipple stage one or two and really put up some numbers.
If it's paired to a #6 (see above). At that point, one might as well simply ordered an 850 package, and we're now comparing apples to oranges. On a side note, the Indy transmission/drive is (unofficially) engineered to handle 1,000 ft-lb. That's the same as Mercury's official rating of the #6.

Originally Posted by kap
Agreed!!!

The best thing is that it's nice to have some competition for Mercury. Everyone does better when they've been challenged, and we consumers win. Choices are a great thing, and lead to these kinds of lively debates.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
What engines was merc running in P1 against Ilmor?
Just curious, not trying to be a wise ass.
LOL
Old 04-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't disagree with the "tried and true" resale value. For the record, I have blown Potter built 575's pushing 700+ hp so yes, I love Merc. big blue power. I do know that my motors do not perform as well on hot, humid days (sea level is where I boat) as n/a motors. Also, having run many blower motors and n/a motors both in boats and cars, n/a motors were much more reliable with fewer parts that could go wrong.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blown Mercs (or any blown engine) will certainly deliver more at altitude and in hot weather. - at seal level or in cooler weather they will fall even more shy where the ilmor will begin to make above its rated power and the Mercs are electronically limited

But we've already (actually dustin whipple has) established that they dont make their rated horsepower. They are 25 to 40 HP down (according to dustins dyno)

The 600 and the 700 fall shy of 6 and 700Hp every time- look up cbblr's excellent write up and Dustins comments to this issue.

Of course this does not affect aftermarket built blower engines- Teague, Mr unmentionable, Young, ateco , etc.

Where is there write up of comparative resale value?
Im curious as to where this spec is coming from that shows the ilmor losing value faster.

I love Merc as a vendor, and have a lifetime of happiness with them.

At the same time the ilmor is an extremely well made super light mill, that never fails to impress me every time I take it out.

And Oh- yeah- lets see the 115 on the gps.....

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 04-18-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

I do not know you C_Spray but I agree with your statements. I will add additional commentary within your post in bold if I may.

Originally Posted by C_Spray
True. nothing beats a pump at altitude. That effect doesn't come into play in the ocean, though. Acceleration will be better for the blower engine, providing boost is added in the mid-range.

Agreed it is my experience the mid-range is more related to prop selection than boost levels

The NXT's reputation is not quite as stellar, however.
This is usually a statement made by a V-Bottom guy and usually one driving a Fountain. Your right though the Fountains do not run the NXT with the HP700 motor they run number six legs on the back...............

If it's paired to a #6 (see above). At that point, one might as well simply ordered an 850 package, and we're now comparing apples to oranges.

No way the HP850 is tons of money when you do a cost analysis with a HP700---you can get into these engine(s) a lot cheaper than any 850/No 6 package I have ever seen not even close in terms of dollars spent.

On a side note, the Indy transmission/drive is (unofficially) engineered to handle 1,000 ft-lb. That's the same as Mercury's official rating of the #6.

Agreed!!!

The best thing is that it's nice to have some competition for Mercury. Everyone does better when they've been challenged, and we consumers win. I couldn't agree more wish more people adhered to this type of mentality. Choices are a great thing, and lead to these kinds of lively debates.
Originally Posted by Tom A.
I don't disagree with the "tried and true" resale value. For the record, I have blown Potter built 575's pushing 700+ hp so yes, I love Merc. big blue power. I do know that my motors do not perform as well on hot, humid days (sea level is where I boat) as n/a motors. Also, having run many blower motors and n/a motors both in boats and cars, n/a motors were much more reliable with fewer parts that could go wrong.
Comment:

I would bet dollars to donuts you are not running an EFI supercharged engine(s)---your Potters are probably carbureted. This is merely an assumption as most people complaining about blown motors usually have carbs.

You did not specify if they are EFI---if by chance they are you need a better ECM unit and updated tuning.

Our motor definitely is affected by heat and altitude but if my supercharged motor is doggin it under climactic conditions a naturally aspirated motor is really in the dog house when it comes to producing power under same like and kind conditions.

As far as fewer moving parts I will concede that point but you would be very surprised at how many reliable trouble free boating hours you would get with a HP700.

Overall it is a very hard power platform to beat in my opinion for a performance boater.

KAP
P.S. No I do not work for Mercury or any of its' affiliates merely a consumer and performance boater.

P.S. Hey Uncle Dave are you going to be at DSPR if so come see me at the Howard set-up let's talk--- a whole lot has gone on since we last talked.

Last edited by kap328; 04-18-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

They are fuel injected, tuned up 575Sci's. Hot humid air just doesn't compress as well as cool dry air. Power is effected by that. Same reason the new Merc 1300/1350's have a 50hp difference based on engine room air intake and "cold" air intake. Turbos/blowers both force feed the motor and the air fuel ratios are effected by the air temp and density more than N/A.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.