Notices

Supercharged 496 HO's

Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged 496 HO's

Hey guys.
Im thinking of placing Whipple Chargers on my Donzi.
I have a 35 FT ZR with 496 HO's
No work done to the boat other than sound system.

What issues am I looking at if I do this to my boat???

Also Im thinking of putting Headers on it along with MERCURY MARINE MAXIMUS RH 5-BL Props.

Can anyone give me some info on what they think...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i know RAYLAR has an upgrade kit for the internal's , that would be the week link unless you replace them , and then again it all depends on how you run the motor's , some guy's can put 100's of hour's on a whipple 496 motor and then other's can break 20 hour's so it all depend's on how you drive and if you got a good motor to start with

mike
Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

Call Jason at Kunkels Marine 419-529-4446
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

ho's aren't the best for charging. Early 496's, 01's and some 02's had forged rotating assemblies and all the rest of the 496's, 02' and later have cast internals. If you are going to Whipple your ho's, i'd get the PCM555 reprogrammed to raise the rev limiter, on the Ho's the limiter cuts the fuel to the motor and that can be fatal under boost at WOT. I wouldn't run those motors without EGT gauges (exhaust gas temp) , fuel pressure, water pressure and boost gauges.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a boat with what you want. Your drives won't take the whipples .
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyOutlaw
ho's aren't the best for charging. Early 496's, 01's and some 02's had forged rotating assemblies and all the rest of the 496's, 02' and later have cast internals. If you are going to Whipple your ho's, i'd get the PCM555 reprogrammed to raise the rev limiter, on the Ho's the limiter cuts the fuel to the motor and that can be fatal under boost at WOT. I wouldn't run those motors without EGT gauges (exhaust gas temp) , fuel pressure, water pressure and boost gauges.
Early HO's only had forged cranks. There is zero issues with the stock crank and rods for 600hp.

Whipple kits come with a PCM recal, fuel injectors, pump, regulator, fittings.... etc. The rev limit does not cut fuel, it cuts spark. In stock applications, it cuts fuel and spark.

EGT gauges won't tell you anything when the systems are pre-designed properly. A wide band air fuel would be far more important since EGT's, unless placed in the hottest hole, with 1" of the cylinder head, gives you fales readings that you have to have a reference before to compare to.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TheKoz96
Hey guys.
Im thinking of placing Whipple Chargers on my Donzi.
I have a 35 FT ZR with 496 HO's
No work done to the boat other than sound system.

What issues am I looking at if I do this to my boat???

Also Im thinking of putting Headers on it along with MERCURY MARINE MAXIMUS RH 5-BL Props.

Can anyone give me some info on what they think...
I've run a Whipple on my stock 496HO for the last 2 seasons and clocked a little over 250 hours on it without so much as a hiccup. I ran the X drive for about 100 hours which seemed to be holding up before moving up to an XR for preventive maintence.

I had a great run with the motor and ran it hard but wasnt abusive in a few poker run etc...

Currently the motor is being beefed-up by Raylar http://www.raylarengine.com/ with his supercharger shortblock ,alumium heads and Dana exh.

I would recommend the whipple but be prepaired to eventually have to upgrade your drive and shortblock. Give Ray a call he is a straight shooter and is a wealth of knowledge on whipples and 496's
Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink What to do with my 496's???

Whipple makes a great product and a great 496 supercharger kit. The problems that sometimes show up in stock block 496's are not caused by a proper Whipple kit installation, its the marginal strength of the factory pistons under boost with supercharging and todays sometimes not very good fuel, that lead to the piston and engine failures on stock Merc 496's.

If you would like you can call me toll free at Raylar @(866) 496-8181 and I can spread your options , costs and performance increases for various levels of upgrade to you 496's including header choices and options.
We've got hundreds of expierences and success stories with all forms of 496 engine upgrades and engine builds which allows us to give some pretty sound honest information and advice.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar www.raylarengine.com

Last edited by Raylar; 04-21-2010 at 10:27 PM.