Notices

How should I handle this?

Old 04-23-2002, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How should I handle this?

This thread is continued from my previous thread "Things have gone from bad to worse"

The owner of the marina, without hesitation, is addmitting responsibility and is repairing the damage caused by a big mistake made by one of his mechanics at no charge. Bottom line is he melted 3 pistons in one motor. The are no bad readings from a compression check and a leakdown test on the other motor. He is also going to use a bore scope (I think that is what it is called) to view the cylinders.

The problem I am having is that this motor was brand new last yr. and only has 90 hrs. on it. It has suffered some serious damage and I am not too comfortable having to have this motor bored over. Not to mention totally torn down and then rebuilt. I am also concerned about the life of these motors. I bought a bigger boat so I could travel farther from home and it would be very inconvienient, to say the least, to lose a motor far from home.

Does anyone think I should be entitled to a new long block? Or 2? I hate to play the bad guy but this does not sit well with me. Especially since it was not my fault.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

O.K. here goes. He is now liable to you under the law for "like kind and quality". you can argue that you did not have rebuilt motors in the boat so you need new ones. He could argue that a freshly rebuilt motor has less wear than an 80 hour new motor. It could all end up in court and you'll have to pay me huge bucks to come and argue your side as an expert witness

Or......... there is a possibility he could get this handled by his garagekeeper's or business liability insurance. There would be a deductible and his rates may go up but there is an upside for both of you.

He can get paid to do all the work. He pulls down the engines, and finds all the damage done, you supply receipts for the previous work showing new motors, he makes up an estmate for new motors(like kind and quality), and both of you end up o.k. Most companies will pay normal customer pay rates for mechanical work so his profit from the job may cover his increase in insurance and deductible. I have seen it happen many times.

Feel free to email if I can be of any help.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:55 PM
Registered

It only takes about a day to swap one motor, so his labor would not be too great. Also he could keep old blocks to repair and sell to help recoup cost of new ones.

I will discuss my concerns with him and try to come to an amicable conclusion.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good to know insptech, thanks for educating O.S.O.

Ken,

Glad to hear they are working it out with you one way or another.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Mik

There is an advantage from them boring your block. Because if they bore it and hone with a torque plate installed you will have a truer rounder cylinder which will create better ring seal and less blow by especially with your super charged engine.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:34 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very happy with a rebuilt motor, and satisfied with a low hour used motor-as long as they both are comming with a guarantee. No, you do not deserve a new motor, much less a pair of them.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Mik

who guarantee's high performance motor's?????? I want his name, there is no one I have ever dealt with that will guarantee a high performace motor!!