Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
HONDA or YAMAHA GENERATOR INSTALL ?? >

HONDA or YAMAHA GENERATOR INSTALL ??

Notices

HONDA or YAMAHA GENERATOR INSTALL ??

Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDA or YAMAHA GENERATOR INSTALL ??

Anyone Have Pictures Of There Honda Or Yamaha Generator Installed In There Deck Or Power Boat?? Please Post...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

You can search it on here and see all the pictures of what will one day kill you. If you are putting on the deck of a pontoon boat fine but if you are putting it in the eng. bay of a boat buy a marine gen.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Registered

I have searched for hours for pictures of a generator install and i have failed to find any.... any links you know of?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Here is the first one I found in about 5 min. there was atleast 2 others, I know buying a gen for $750 makes this seem like a good idea and like I said before if it's on the deck of a pontoon it would be fine but I and many others would NOT do this. Because dead people dont go boating.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-38scarab.html
Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Can you please explain why this is a bad idea? I indeed installed this in my engine compartment. It will only be run while boat is beached. I installed a transom exhaust and will always have the hatch open. I have not heard anything bad aout this set up so any information of why it's a bad idea would be very helpful!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

dieing of carbon monoxide or blowing up the boat seems like a pretty bad idea to me. These generators were not meant to survive in the marine environment. Handling exhaust is another issue, simply piping it outside does not cover all the bases. Fumes from the fuel tank are also a major concern, while closed in your bilge it's tank is vented to that confined space(that alone seems like a tremendously bad idea). These small generators can develop leaks in all kinds of places while bouncing around in the bilge of your boat and if undetected exhaust fumes will find its way into the cabin with no trouble. There are far to many reasons not to permanently mount one of these in your boat. i have one that i use for all kinds of things and its pretty handy but has no place as a permanent part of my boat.

It also voids insurance should there be a problem.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-22-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added some stuff . . . .